Transponders 2 or 3 wire

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbqguy52

Just an old guy playing with toys
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Just getting into racing. 1/10 2wd stock class. I'm buying a transponder and wondering if it really matters 2 or 3 wire transponder. Any help would be great.

I'm not sure what really the difference is between 2 and 3 wire but me and my uncle uses the My laps 3 wire ponders.

The 2 wire is a little bit older than the 3 wire. Also it looks like the 2 wire is more expensive than the 3 wire. If I were me I would get the 3 wire.

That's what I was thinking. I'll talk to them at the track.

I believe either will work but check at your track first. I have the 3 wire in mine.

They sell both. The salesman didn't know the difference.

I am not familiar with transponders, but I have this information:
Mylaps transponders fall into 3 categories: hybrids which are good with old Mylaps stations and also new ones, then there is the Mylaps rc4 which is good with updated MyŠKODA stations rides, and finally there is the last one which is the same as the rc4 for the same functionality and smaller and lighter, weighing only 3 grams instead of 4. In general, the difference
between 2-wire and 3-wire transponders is that 2-wire transponders cannot be used with updated Mylaps stations, while 3-wire transponders can be used with updated Mylaps stations.

The only thing that matters is where you plan to race. Find out which version of the MyLaps system decoder they are using, then you can select the appropriate PTX you need from there:

1679416174104.png

Side Note:

I currently own both MRT and RC4 Pro... there was only 1 track I raced that still uses RC3, and 1 track that runs RC4.5... the vast majority of tracks I race are using RC4.4