Top end performer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroMED

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey guys,
Got a REVO 3.3. Not to many upgrades, but did upgrade the turnbuckles, installed a stabilizer kit and finally installed the forward only kit AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, installed the ceramic ball bearing kit across the entire model. It may be placebo, but following the forward only kit and ceramic bearing kit upgrade she seems to scream a little more.

So, 65% of the time my model is generally rolling over pavement/asphalt and I'm looking for more TOP END. I really think I can get this kit around and over 50MPH...u know, take on a LOSI LST XXL :)D). What are your suggestions? Running 20% NITRO by the way.

Upgrade the clutch bell? To what?
Upgrade the Spur gear? To what?
What else?
An engine upgrade is a possibility, but not there yet.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks guys,
Mitch

Not sure what your current gearing is, but if you decrease the size of your spur, and increase the size of your clutchbell, you will gain top speed that you are after.

50mph should be easy to hit with a gear change.

try 17/36

Last edited:
17/36 would be good, like using a font color that's readable.

gearing will get you the most speed but i have herd aluminum clutch shoes help, i got some but havnt put them in yet.

A clutch has nothing to do with top speed. lol

If your clutch is slipping then everything isnt going to add up.
the stock 2 shoe set up will get you the top speed that you want.

The alloy shoes help avoid the slippage that you are more likely to get with taller gearing. Not a necessity, but may make it less prone to fail.

THANK YOU + One other question

First, thank you for your replies. This forum is phenomenal...there's always an answer.

Right, I'm running stock Spur and Clutch bell so these are great suggestions. Also, the clutch shoe suggestion is a notable upgrade. I've all ready blown to clutch springs...really pisses me off especially when I just cruising over normal terrain.

One other thing I'm likley going to do is switch out the cooling head...perhaps I can lean her a little more.

ONE OTHER QUESTION:
Any thoughts on operating temperature? I always have a light blue trail of smoke, but operating temperature is in the neighborhood of 195-225. I've read you shouldn't push it near and especially over 270. Is this really true or is TRAXXAS just being over-protective for the newbie?

Thanks again guys,
MED

the 3.3 likes to run hotter ...260 to 280 is the sweet spot for most of them ...i have one that runs at 290 with not problems ;).....and it wont come really alive until it hits 250 ....so you are running a bit cold ...you can lean it a bit

Last edited:
Back