Took apart my engine last night....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
So after some street laps yesterday I inspected everything as I always do after running my kit and noticed that the front bearing in my engine seems to be leaking. Not bad but I'd assume any leak here isn't a good thing. Bummer. Took the engine and carb completely apart and cleaned everything. Piston and Sleeve are still in really good shape. No metal shavings anywhere. Hoping that a piece of dirt got between the crank shaft and bearing and a good cleaning is all that was needed. Rather not have to replace the front bearing cause I don't have the tool for it but if it continues to leak then I'm gonna have to. Any peeps have their own DIY method for removing of the bearings? The bearing puller/press tools are WAY over priced. Thinking a wooden dowel that's the right size and some tapping with a hammer would do the trick. At least the bearings are inexpensive to replace.

Inexpensive baring purchase of the purpose built tools. :thumbs-down:

Common problem here,mostly it is just an annoyance ,....you will need to heat the case up for removal,...i do it in the oven,last time I did one I think I had the oven temp @250f

Hmmm, if your willing to take the risk D.IY it with a blow torch or oven and save some money. :)

Yeah found some how-to's using oven. Gonna go that route. How-to said they come out easy this way. We shall see.

Just did a bit more research and I may actually leave the bearing in. A small leak isn't uncommon and actually good keeps the bearing lubricated and means I'm not sucking dirt in. I was also too rich on my LSN and HSN as well cause it was about 60f yesterday and I was doing laps in the street adjusting my tune. Anyways not a big deal and I have replacement bearings now should things get worse. Thanks for the responses guys.

Just did a bit more research and I may actually leave the bearing in. A small leak isn't uncommon and actually good keeps the bearing lubricated and means I'm not sucking dirt in. I was also too rich on my LSN and HSN as well cause it was about 60f yesterday and I was doing laps in the street adjusting my tune. Anyways not a big deal and I have replacement bearings now should things get worse. Thanks for the responses guys.
Yep, you're right. Most people don't bother fixing a leaky front bearing, and it isn't uncommon either :)

if you do fix it the easiest way to do it is to buy a cheap heat glove off of amazon or home depot or whatever, take the engine apart, heat the case and bearings up in the oven @ 250F. Once the engine gets hot enough grab the mill in one hand and push the bearings out with a small wooden dowel rod. put the new ones in while the case is warm and push them in place with your dowel. easy as pie. :)

if you do fix it the easiest way to do it is to buy a cheap heat glove off of amazon or home depot or whatever, take the engine apart, heat the case and bearings up in the oven @ 250F. Once the engine gets hot enough grab the mill in one hand and push the bearings out with a small wooden dowel rod. put the new ones in while the case is warm and push them in place with your dowel. easy as pie. :)
Yep, like greywolf said- apply even pressure- so you don't damage the bearing in case you want to reuse it later...

heres a good video I found on how to do it. he uses a hot plate which may be a tad more convenient but an oven will work just fine too :)

heres a good video I found on how to do it. he uses a hot plate which may be a tad more convenient but an oven will work just fine too :)
Hot plate may take longer and give less even coverage though...

I prefer the rotisserie method on the grill slow cooked for an hour at medium heat, garnished with parsley and russet potatoes.

A word of advice if you heat your engine in the oven..
1. Make sure the significant other is not around. They tend to frown upon thier oven being used for such foolhardy shenanigans.
2..open up your windows because man, it stinks to high heaven

Last edited:
I prefer the rotisserie method on the grill slow cooked for an hour at medium heat, garnished with parsley and russet potatoes.

A word of advice if you heat your engine in the oven..
1. Make sure the significant other is not around. They tend to frown upon thier oven being used for such foolhardy shenanigans.
2..open up your windows because man, it stinks to high heaven
Hmmm....yes...and with gravy and a Yorkshire pudding. But in all seriousness, go with the advice- my mum wasn't that happy when her oven smelt of burnt gunk and found an engine inside.

Good looking out regarding the smell!

i use a heat gun gets plenty hot enough ( over 500f+ ) then gently tap the bearing out.

then i use my vice to slowly press the new front bearing in while keeping the crankcase hot

done it plenty of times sat on my bed

i sit the crankcase on top of my vice while heating it up

Normally as long your front bearing isn't slinging a line of fuel around the lid your good, all front bearings will leak a little.
If it looks like you missed the tank when fueling, it's time for a new bearing.

Got it. Anyone tried that crankcase cap from Buku? Interested in their clutch but the composite shoes don't do well if they get oil on them. This cup is supposed to eliminate the issue of leaking front bearing's and improve fuel consumption, life of the engine, etc.

Got it. Anyone tried that crankcase cap from Buku? Interested in their clutch but the composite shoes don't do well if they get oil on them. This cup is supposed to eliminate the issue of leaking front bearing's and improve fuel consumption, life of the engine, etc.
Personally I haven't heard of Buku, but don't have much experience on this side of things...

Back