Tmaxx transmission question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greasemonkey91

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this forum and kind of noobish to the r/c world i've dabbled in nitro buggies for awhile always bought the cheaper less know brands like exceed rc until recently. I bought myself a traxxas t maxx off of ebay still waiting for it to get here. From what the seller told me that it was orginally a 3.3 till the engine seized and then he put a 2.5 on it which i will return it back to a 3.3 again down the road. He also said that there was a gear stripped out in the transmission. My question is does anyone make a set of gears for it made of steel instead of plastic. i know you can buy the foc kit but i want to keep the reverse on it. The case is grey if that makes a differents thanks for the help

Robinson Racing makes a full set of steel gears for the revo. They used to make them for the t-maxx 2.5 back in the day.

Hmm... looks like they only carry everything but reverse, so you'd have to have forward only. I never ran reverse in my revo's or t-maxx, the first change to all of them was to ditch reverse and put in an FOC.

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/tmaxx33.html

The gears most likely to go out were the main input shaft gears. Well, those and the primary output gears. The larger 2-speed gears usually hold up ok as plastic. I have all RRP steel gears, including the 2-speed gears, in both my nitro revos, neither has reverse.

I like my reverse... I have it in my Revo. The biggest gripe with my Jato actually is... No reverse. It didn't matter much when I had a HUGE area to run in but that's gone now. When I run, the Jato has a somewhat specific course I use or I find myself chasing it... For me that's no fun.
I would open up your trans and see what blew out of it. I have never had a problem with the Jato trans. I blew out the gears in my Revo due to my own stupidity.(both are the 3.3) Dont get me wrong, if I could get steel gears that had reverse, I'd pick them up in a heartbeat but they arent, so I don't... Lol!
I would build the trans back with stock gears if I were doing it. I AM doing it in my revo and they ARE stock gears going back in. (the bearings however are going in the trash and am getting ceramics).
As far as your engine goes, traxxas does offer an exchange program where you can trade in your 2.5 and upgrade or send in your blown 3.3 and they will replace it. Before I sent anything away, I'd pull it apart and get a look at what is really going on in there. Keep us posted! Good luck!

Welcome to RCNT!!! :welcome_sign:

I like my reverse... I have it in my Revo. The biggest gripe with my Jato actually is... No reverse. It didn't matter much when I had a HUGE area to run in but that's gone now. When I run, the Jato has a somewhat specific course I use or I find myself chasing it... For me that's no fun.
I would open up your trans and see what blew out of it. I have never had a problem with the Jato trans. I blew out the gears in my Revo due to my own stupidity.(both are the 3.3) Dont get me wrong, if I could get steel gears that had reverse, I'd pick them up in a heartbeat but they arent, so I don't... Lol!
I would build the trans back with stock gears if I were doing it. I AM doing it in my revo and they ARE stock gears going back in. (the bearings however are going in the trash and am getting ceramics).
As far as your engine goes, traxxas does offer an exchange program where you can trade in your 2.5 and upgrade or send in your blown 3.3 and they will replace it. Before I sent anything away, I'd pull it apart and get a look at what is really going on in there. Keep us posted! Good luck!

Welcome to RCNT!!! :welcome_sign:

Yeah, don't know why RRP doesn't offer those gears. Back in the day, you could get them I think for the t-maxx 2.5 as well as a steel or aluminum FOC and a steel top 2 speed input gear. They didn't make the large 2 speed gears then, but they do now. I'm so used to not having reverse in a nitro that I don't even think about it.

That said, it's kind of nice having it on my erbe, stampede and my E-jato. So weird having a jato with reverse! LOL

Back