tmaxx tranny NO GO

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedimast5

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i finally got my tmaxx running. i had servos problems. now i have transmission problems. it happen about 75% of the time. when i give it throttle the spur gear just spins. then some times it kicks in and works normal. what gives? its not the spur gear nut i checked that. I do have the FOC (forward only conversion) installed. please help.

Sounds almost like the one way bearing that the primary gear rides on may be slipping. Did you oil or grease the gears when you installed them? If you did, it is possible it made its way into the bearing causing it to slip. This is the main reason the sealed transmissions run dry without lube.

Sounds almost like the one way bearing that the primary gear rides on may be slipping. Did you oil or grease the gears when you installed them? If you did, it is possible it made its way into the bearing causing it to slip. This is the main reason the sealed transmissions run dry without lube.

i did not install the foc. this the way i got the tmaxx. but i do notice lube dripping from the tranny. should i open it up and clean it out and dry it up. with some parts cleaner used for r/c cars

How is the tolerance between the engine/tranny? Maybe you need to slide the engine forward a little bit so that the gears connect tighter?

I suspect I may be correct on it then if there is oil dripping out. Yes I would crack that thing open and clean every thin good with some DA. The one way you can put a couple drops of WD40 but no more than that. Let us know how it comes out..
I just though....if you have the Nitro cleaner in a can you can blast out the tranny through the hole that you use to adjust the shift point, then turn it upside down to drain it out. You could try that a few times just to see if it helps if you don't want to pull and split the transmission.

Last edited:
I suspect I may be correct on it then if there is oil dripping out. Yes I would crack that thing open and clean every thin good with some DA. The one way you can put a couple drops of WD40 but no more than that. Let us know how it comes out..
I just though....if you have the Nitro cleaner in a can you can blast out the tranny through the hole that you use to adjust the shift point, then turn it upside down to drain it out. You could try that a few times just to see if it helps if you don't want to pull and split the transmission.

thanks guys, it ended up be the lube that was in the tranny, cleaned it out completely now it works awesome.. thanks again

You bet brother....That was my first guess because I have seen that happen before......somewhere.... :whistle: about six years ago when I got my first T-Maxx...and I learned why you don't oil a tranny....lol. Glad it's fixed for ya!

I'm having a similar problem, but their is NO lube in my tranny. I installed the FOC in mine today and cleaned the cases and gears really well. It worked great! I ran a second tank of fuel thru it and was bashing around and it quit moving. I shut it off and started it back up and cruised around for a bit and it did it again. Repeat, many times. Any ideas???

If the answer in this thread didn't help you, start a new one. I'm willing to bet it's the same problem, though. What did you clean it with?

I just wiped it all down with a clean rag. I just had a lite film on it, nothing major. I put it back together after I inspected it and didn't find anything that just stuck out. I didn't lube anything when I reassembled it

They work the same way a owb does. Clean with denatured alcohol or nitro cleaner.

If that don't help, it may be bad too. It's a pretty uncommon part to wear out from my experience. Some others will chime in. If they don't, start a new thread and explain that you cleaned it a couple of times and how. I'm sure there is other possible causes/ fixes.

can't believe "DO NOT OIL" stickers mean nothing to some people... glad its workin for ya

can't believe "DO NOT OIL" stickers mean nothing to some people... glad its workin for ya
No kidding...it is there for a reason....sigh....then they figure out why when stuff stops working. Hey we were all new and did silly things that did not work.

Back