Titanium screws....YEAH or NAY????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30%NitroBoy

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
WHaddup guys,

Well......I've got most of the parts I need now to have a BAD ASS mother phucking maxx. I've been considering Ti scews for a long time but no way am I spending $130 for Hardcores set. When I stripped my Maxx down this last time I noticed that ALLOt of the el-cheapo stock screws where bent. I could have sworn that a company was "spam'n" here for a set of TI scews that they had for sale on E-bay but I can't find them anywhere. Anyone know?? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a full set but the primary scews would be great.

I know that Ti as a metal has better shock absorption properties. It's lighter then steel but isn't gonna make it weight reduction difference for screws. It's stronger though and not bending screws would be nice though.

Opinions, Thoughts on Ti scews??

TIA
peace

As in real raceing Ever ounce helps man. if your willing to pay for em I say go for it. Its not gona hurt anything but your wallet.

Titanium handles compression stress better than steel does and has better tensile strength, but it shears much more easily than steel. You will see them bend/deform much later than steel, but in most instances they will shatter prior to bending.

I do not recommend running a full set of titanium screws, but strategically placed they can be both a weight saver and a strengthener on any RC. Where would I not put them? Anywhere that a WOT head on collision would cause a shearing motion between items that the screws are holding together. One such area is the bulkhead to chassis plate connection. Many have sheared screw heads off using regular steel, titanium would be just as bad here.

Just some food for thought.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the thoughs. My mind seems to work like yours in many ways Sky. I always try to think everything through in this hobby and I don't like to hop things up in a mundane or arbitrary fashion....lol.

I think I'm just going to stick with stock screws and thread lock.

Peace

Ti takes a crazy force to bend period. It's bending point is way past that of steel and aluminum.

If you want a good set of screws, try some black oxide steel. It is prone to oxidation, but is stronger than the soft stainless steel that comes stock. Also, much less expensive than Titanium.

Just an idea for you.

Thankyou Skymaxx and HB. I'll probably just run the stock screws for not but I really appreicate the input and this should be of great service to others considering this.

Peace

Hey Guys,

I'm just gonna get a set of stainless steel scews from "RCSrews"......they'll be slighty heavier then stock but much stronger and rust resistant. The added weight isn't going to affect perfromance as I've already shaved allot of weight of the truck. Not to mention that I'm seriously reducing rotational mass now that I've decided to get UE's Titanium CVDs.......my wallet says ouch.

Peace

In my experience, the stainless screw heads strip a lot easier than the black oxide screws. I bought a full stainless set and have been slowly but surely replacing them with the black oxide. I've had to dremel way to many of those damn things and use a standard (flat) screwdriver to remove them.

Plus, they don't stick to your screwdriver. You don't realize how much you depend on the screw staying on the driver until they don't.

Food for Thought.

Go the extra mile and get the Titanium! You won't be disapponited! I got them on my T-maxx!

Back