Tires and Rims

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hepher88

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I need some new tires for my old Hot Bodies Lightning 2 rr and thought I'd have a look at some nice rims for them while I was at it, I was wondering however, as long as it buy the right scale 1:8, will most of the rims fit my car or do they need to be HPI specific or something like that? Not really a fan of the old flat yellow ones

Rims are sometimes hit and miss. I can't tell ya how many wheels I have bought over the years hoping they would fit, but didn't. I just did it again a week ago. The inner diameter on the rear of the wheel is too small. Even though everything else is the correct size, and the wheel offset even favors them fitting, they won't. So, just when I told myself I am not buying any more RC's, now I need to buy one to fit the wheels 😜

Last edited:
Rims are sometimes hit and miss. I can't tell ya how many wheels I have bought over the years hoping they would fit, but didn't. I just did it again a week ago. The inner diameter on the rear if the wheel is too small. Even though everything else is the correct size, and the wheel offset even favors them fitting, they won't. So, just when I told myself I am not buying any more RC's, now I need to buy one to fit the wheels 😜
I have stock pile of wheels and tires. All different sizes offsets ect. Every build is a little different along with adapters.

I have stock pile of wheels and tires. All different sizes offsets ect. Every build is a little different along with adapters.
The great all thanks, will need to take a proper look

Most of the time they fit. With different off sets you sometimes have less thread for the wheel nut. Once in a great while no thread. Once in a while you’ll find a set that grinds the knuckle. Then just check the hex size and match to work if needed.

Can grab extensions for the offsets if needed to. Sometimes they require a little thinking to fit properly.

Should be fine with pretty much any 1/8th buggy wheel/tire combo. They are mostly the same with the same offset. The larger MT sized wheels have differing offsets. I'm not saying there aren't different ones out there, but every 1/8th buggy tire/wheel I've had was the same (or really close to the same) offset.

A buddy of mine recently put a cheap set of amazon tires/wheels on his typhon 6s and so far, they are holding up great for him. We bash at a grass covered bmx track. His grandson drives the buggy, but usually on 3S or 4S, however, they held up ok for him the few times he put 6S through it.

Pretty sure these are what he tried: https://www.amazon.com/RCStation-RC-PreGlued-Inserts-4PCS-Black/dp/B07Y5DC67M

He also got a set of proline badland mx's, but thought he'd try the cheaper amazon ones first and if they didn't work out, he'd have good name brand ones as backup.
https://www.prolineracing.com/produ...s-mounted-17mm-black-mach-10-2/PRO906721.html

Just brought a new set of wheels and rims, found them for a reasonable price as well so that's always a bonus

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220313_115517_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220313_115517_com.android.chrome.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 39
Back