Tired of backyard bashing! Help! Dilemna here.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badsneaker

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK, so I started this stupid nitro addiction with a HPI Rush Evo (don't laugh, budget constraints and not knowing a DAMN thing about this hobby). Picked up a nice used RC10GT, getting a used Tmaxx on Monday.

Here's the dilemna:

Went to off road local track and totally sucked with the 2wd stadium truck. Maybe Team drivers for Associated won X amount of trophies, but they certainly didn't have me on their team. I want to spend more time at the track than in my backyard and I feel I can learn better with a 4wd MT or Buggy/Truggy. Help!

I want to keep the Rc10 but I think I would like to get rid of the Rush and Tmaxx for a 4wd 1/8 buggy. The 2wd stadium trucks are just too hard to handle on a track being a Newbie. I'm getting good at working on them and tuning and stuff. I just suck at track driving.

Should I trade the Tmaxx and Rush for a 4wd Buggy? (I'm open to offers)

You guys have been great with advice, so feel free to speak up.

Thanks

Also if anyone here has a good tire reco for the RC10 let me know. Thinking maybe Bowties M3 and M3 ribbed up front.

Last edited:
You should sell both an pay the difference out you pocket. I dont think someone is going to trade a t-maxx and a rush for their buggy, but its possible good luck hunting.

If I was you, I would get the Buggy. A buggy was the second nitro car I ever got and I loved it and learned to drive it quickly.

What is your budget going to be?

Well AC48, you and I being both from NH and seeing your pretty experienced, I was looking at the HotBodies Lightning2 RTR for about $350. It looks like a decent entry level 4wd buggy and I like the fact they are run by HPI, whom I have had excellent customer service with.
Come down to Rochester next week and we'll go up to the off road track in Berwick!
poop they are racing tomorrow!

Well badsneaker, when you get the required post count and been here for 3 months than you can post those rigs here. If you follow the site rules you will be able to do so in no time.

These rigs may be better on eBay than here. I may be able to sell the Rush to a friend and his son and lose a little bit of cash. No biggie. I will maybe keep the Tmaxx if it runs good. Let my kids run it. I'll keep the RC10 cuz I like it.
Probably just have to spend the cash on a buggy.

The Lightning2 is a decent buggy, and yea HPI has some good customer service. Others to look at in that price range are the XTM XT2, Hyper 7 PBS, and another that is a bit more is the Jammin X1 RTR. There are probably other good ones I am forgetting about but those are some to look at.

I tell ya, I love my RC10GT, so hang onto that one! It takes time to get used to it on a track, but they are loads of fun!

If you can move your Rush and T-Maxx and net about $200.00, for a little more, you can get yourself a Hyper 7 buggy. I have one and those things can take a beating and are easy to drive!

Good luck!

Most of the driving issues with the Rc10 is throttle.
You have to feather the throttle out of a turn so it wont spin out on you.
Throttle control is key when driving 2wd.
As for your other issue, if you want to race, get rid of the other 2 cars for sure.
Truggies and 1/8 scale buggies seem to handle best on a track but it's a fast aggressive class to be in.
If you do get a truggy/buggy, try to get in a novice class till you get the hang of things, or just run the practices.
This way you wont get discouraged.
I'm not saying this about you so much, but lots of people think that you can just drop a car on a track and whip ass. There is a knack to driving these cars.

when it comes to track driving just remember SLOWER IS FASTER.....it usually comes down to something as simple as throttle control.....step pins or bowties are a good tire.....

Damn Ratzo

Here are the settings I run. I don't bother tweaking them; just toss the truck onto the track and PRACTICE:

front:
shock oil 35wt.
springs silver
bottom mount inside
top mount outside
camber -2 degrees
toe 0
ride height arms level

rear end
shock oil 35wt
springs green
bottom mount outside
top mount second from outside
camber -1.5
toe in 3 degrees, stock antisquat
camber link outside, inner hole
camber link inside, upper-inner hole
ride height; slightly below level

gearing; 17/64
clutch/flywheel; mip 4-n-1 on a heavyweight flywheel

I've ran this setup during the 3 years that I raced the GT, and it has allowed me to keep up with the best of the pack, and thensome.

The other thing that I'd recommend is, spend a day or two at the track, and just burn off a gallon. Remember, there is a midrange on the throttle, and if you practice just 'rolling the throttle on' and easing back on it, you'll find that you'll be able to drive the GT just about as smooth as butter.

edit; the tires, i forgot to mention are proline edge M3 in front, bowtie m3 in rear.

Last edited:
Also... if you spend the time learning to drive a 2wd, you will be able to drive just about anything else pretty good. 2wd stadiums are probably one of the toughest off road vehicles to control.

The buggy in the auction looks to be in ok shape, but I'm always leary when buying a used rig on ebay. If it were just a roller then I'd say go for it, but you never know if the engine is toast or not. You can get a new hyper for somewhere around $400 and its a strong rtr.

RatzoRC said:
What I do? What I do?????

LOL. I was watching something on the idiot box while typing, so you beat me to the punch is all....

Plaidfish said:
LOL. I was watching something on the idiot box while typing, so you beat me to the punch is all....

lol. cool

Back