Tire truer. What is it exactly?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What are tire truers for exactly? Is it supposed to make the tires uniformly flat? If so wouldnt that only work for foam tires? I can't see how that would work on rubber tires. Is this one of those nobody but racers cares about this tool? Just curious. I've seen them mentioned from time to time here and there just thought Id get to know a little more about it.

Nobody but racer tool. Bingo.
A quick search on ddg brings up they had a truer and sander on it for a used price of 300. That being said I'm assuming it can do rubber.

I heard of balancers but never these. I searched a few and they go up to 650! My ocd can be bad but not at that price.

Back in 2007 they were popular. Companies like Hudy makes them.

What are tire truers for exactly? Is it supposed to make the tires uniformly flat? If so wouldnt that only work for foam tires? I can't see how that would work on rubber tires. Is this one of those nobody but racers cares about this tool? Just curious. I've seen them mentioned from time to time here and there just thought Id get to know a little more about it.
Back in the day, I used to run slot cars. The track I raced at had a tire truer. It was a game changer when you had a car that wouldn't stick to the track.

For RC, I think it is more for racers, and anyone doing high speed runs. I don't have anything with foam tires yet, but I could see this being useful to get your tires running nice and smooth.

I have never seen anyone try to true a rubber tire.

hmmmm I guess the big question now is are they only for foams or rubber too? I've also only heard them referenced in terms of foams.

I guess I need to retract my statement...
"I have never seen anyone try to true a rubber tire"
Because when I was a machinist, a guy I worked with chucked his front tire off his Chevy pickup on a verticle lathe and tried to cut the tread flat after driving with a bad ball joint for awhile. It just ripped chunks out of the tire.

As far as grinding on a rubber tire, I would think it would just melt it. But even if it did manage to remove material, now you have a tire with thin spots on the tread wall. That would cause it to balloon more in those thinner areas. That would not be good according to my brain's complex and confused calculations.

I know for speed runners balancing is critical, but I've never seen a tire truer before. Another new tidbit to file away. ;)

I used a tire truer when I raced on road using foam tires to keep them flat and uniform in size.

I also used it on new rubber tires, but only to give them a light scuffing.

I used a tire truer when I raced on road using foam tires to keep them flat and uniform in size.

I also used it on new rubber tires, but only to give them a light scuffing.
Robmob! Havent seen you in a while :)
Thanks for that answer :)

I guess I need to retract my statement...
"I have never seen anyone try to true a rubber tire"
Because when I was a machinist, a guy I worked with chucked his front tire off his Chevy pickup on a verticle lathe and tried to cut the tread flat after driving with a bad ball joint for awhile. It just ripped chunks out of the tire.

As far as grinding on a rubber tire, I would think it would just melt it. But even if it did manage to remove material, now you have a tire with thin spots on the tread wall. That would cause it to balloon more in those thinner areas. That would not be good according to my brain's complex and confused calculations.

I was assuming. My lhs was big on racing and I never seen foams there or heard about foams until 2009ish with everyone doing speed runs on the rustler vxl.

Combine thst with in racing people will go to extremes to win. I didnt think of wearing a hole in the tire, but I know some people have extreme ocd also.

Back