Tire size changes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivinggun

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
If I increase my tire size, do I need to change any gears in my Revo 5310? Thanks for any and all info.

If I increase my tire size, do I need to change any gears in my Revo 5310? Thanks for any and all info.

It depends on how much bigger ,if the tires are just slightly bigger ,I wouldn't think so ,but if they are giants ,
then maybe a couple of teeth smaller on the pinion gear!

It depends on how much bigger ,if the tires are just slightly bigger ,I wouldn't think so ,but if they are giants ,
then maybe a couple of teeth smaller on the pinion gear!
Pinion gear being the Spur ear right? ( I know I am an idiot for not remembering all of this stuff from years ago)Thanks for the info, I will purchase a few different combinations and see what happens. This size that I got from a friend.
IMG_20190908_092305194.jpg

Pinion gear being the Spur ear right? ( I know I am an idiot for not remembering all of this stuff from years ago)Thanks for the info, I will purchase a few different combinations and see what happens. This size that I got from a friend.View attachment 119693

Yes the bell ,or if it is easier to change the spur ,you can try 2 teeth size bigger on the spur ,that size tire will probably
need a gear change ,given the smaller engine size ,is it the 2.5 or the 3.3 engine ,if so ,with that tire ,definitly a gear change ,
but not much!

Yes the bell ,or if it is easier to change the spur ,you can try 2 teeth size bigger on the spur ,that size tire will probably
need a gear change ,given the smaller engine size ,is it the 2.5 or the 3.3 engine ,if so ,with that tire ,definitly a gear change ,
but not much!
I have both size engines, currently the 2.5 is on it as after sitting in the semi open New England weather for a few years the 3.3 needs some TLC...oops health issues make you forget where you left your fun toys! I will look into what gears I have on it now this weekend. Again thanks for the info.

I have both size engines, currently the 2.5 is on it as after sitting in the semi open New England weather for a few years the 3.3 needs some TLC...oops health issues make you forget where you left your fun toys! I will look into what gears I have on it now this weekend. Again thanks for the info.

Engines probably need a good cleaning ,sealed ,carb needs to be cleaned ,an the needles removed an lube on the tiny
o-rings on them ,an make sure that you count how many turns that are currently on the needles ,turn them all the way in until they
bottom out ,an count the turn when you do ,an note it down on paper ,or you can also start a rebuild thread on your truck ,an
put your notes an pics down on your post about your work on your Revo!...:thumbs-up:

The stock tires/wheels are also very light, so if the new tires are both larger OD and heavier, you will definitely need to re-gear for it to perform ok. The extra rotating mass really adds to the effort the engine/drivetrain sees. Even just 1oz heavier per wheel/tire makes a noticeable difference.

I found that out on my ERBEv2. Started with t-maxx 3.3 wheels/tires (11.5oz) then went to TT MT4 (larger OD and 12.5oz), then melted the center out of one of those and ended up with trencher 3.8's (same od as MT4, but 1oz heavier) and I definitely noticed the extra 1oz.

Since mine was electric, I have lots of torque, I just have to keep an eye on temps and re-gear accordingly if needed. But with a small block nitro, it will work that engine a lot more.

The stock tires/wheels are also very light, so if the new tires are both larger OD and heavier, you will definitely need to re-gear for it to perform ok. The extra rotating mass really adds to the effort the engine/drivetrain sees. Even just 1oz heavier per wheel/tire makes a noticeable difference.

I found that out on my ERBEv2. Started with t-maxx 3.3 wheels/tires (11.5oz) then went to TT MT4 (larger OD and 12.5oz), then melted the center out of one of those and ended up with trencher 3.8's (same od as MT4, but 1oz heavier) and I definitely noticed the extra 1oz.

Since mine was electric, I have lots of torque, I just have to keep an eye on temps and re-gear accordingly if needed. But with a small block nitro, it will work that engine a lot more.
Thanks, I will be breaking down some of the truck the weekend to see what gears are on it now and measure and try to weigh both sets of wheels and post that info for more input

Currently on the Truck is a 40 tooth spur and a 15 tooth bell with the stock tires 5.75 x 3.5 12mm hex...I have another set of tires that are 6.75 x 4, what should I change the gears to to get the best speed in grass/dirt ( I do not have the ability to weigh the tires) as you can also see by this attached photo I have some work to do....