Tire recommendations for 2wd slash

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tincher32-VXL

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys so I got some new duratrax six pack tires but they are the ST (stadium truck) version..I enjoy the look of the wider tires over the stock slash tires is there any problem/solution to using ST tires on a SCt?

the rim diameter difference will cause a lack of top end speed that could lead to over heating issues. Not recommended id look for a sct tire

Alright thanks for the response, would changing the gearing possibly fix the top end problem? Or is that when the overheating problem would possibly occur?

Alright thanks for the response, would changing the gearing possibly fix the top end problem? Or is that when the overheating problem would possibly occur?
Follow the stampede gearing. It should be 86 or 90 tooth spur, 16 or 19 tooth pinion for the rwd. I can't remeber exactly, in 2010 or so I converted to 32p gears. If the motor, esc, and battery are cool, you can gear higher. In the winter you may be able to squeeze a few more teeth out.

As for tires, the more mass they have, the lower the gearing. Although the gearing dropped, the size of the tire will give it speed.

A stock bandit wheel, a stock stampede wheel, and a stock slash wheel will have different speeds on the same car unchanged. The bandit will be slowest, stampede should be the fastest.

The more aggressive tread pattern like proline masher 2000, they will run slower then a street style ttead or slick of the same size.
The bigger tires may lead to premature drivetrain wear depending on driving habbits.

Are these the 2.8 wheels?

Last edited:
Hey guys so I got some new duratrax six pack tires but they are the ST (stadium truck) version..I enjoy the look of the wider tires over the stock slash tires is there any problem/solution to using ST tires on a SCt?
First question, is it brushed or brushless. Gearing for those tires will be a bit different depending on the motor and ESC. If its brushed, it should be right around a 90/16 spur and pinion, and brushless should be right around 86/19 for the spur and pinion. Those are the recommendations from Traxxas for the Stampede and Stampede VXL. For the Rustler, which is more of an ST style, the recommendation is 90/16 for brushed, but 83/25 for brushless.

Back