Tire Question.... 2wd vs. 4wd

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG.rc

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Why are some tires labeled 2wd. What's the difference between 2wd and 4wd when it comes to tires.??

Why are some tires labeled 2wd. What's the difference between 2wd and 4wd when it comes to tires.??
Not sure I've ever seen em labeled like that. I could see maybe labeling tires for rigs like the Rustler that comes with front tires that are different than the rear tires but afaik theres no difference other than maybe that.

Last edited:
The wheels on a Stampede 2wd fronts if I remember correctly are offset so they run in the same track as the rear. I may be wrong with that because I'm not actually looking at mine right now but that's the reason for it on the 2wd Stampede at least.
I tried a set of 4x4 wheels on the 2wd and the rears don't run in the same track because they are wider.
RPM sells a set of Offset Compensating front A-arms for the Slash. Not sure if that fits the Stampede or others.

Also, the fronts of many 2wd use bearings in the wheels vs a hex. So the hex version for rear and bearing version for front.

I think 4wd 1/10th buggies use two different widths of tire as well. The front tires themselves are narrower. Not sure why that is though. Probably some handling nuance that I don't understand.

Also, the fronts of many 2wd use bearings in the wheels vs a hex. So the hex version for rear and bearing version for front.

I think 4wd 1/10th buggies use two different widths of tire as well. The front tires themselves are narrower. Not sure why that is though. Probably some handling nuance that I don't understand.
Good point. 👆 I didnt think about that. They probably are labeld and I just never paid much attention cuz almost all of my kits use the same tires front and rear.

Thanks guys. I think the Greywolf has it right. Or does it have anything to do with the 'offset' of the hubs.?? I think no.....

Its actually a bit of all 3. Some SST's have skinnier front tires and wider rears. Look at the specs for the Traxxas Jato for example, not only are the front tires a tad skinnier, they mount different than the rears do. Offsets are often different between front and rear as well. Depending on the vehicle though, some 2WD SST's can use the same wheels front and rear, and some can't, so your best bet is to look for what fits your vehicles. Another thing to look at is tread design. Some vehicles use a completely different tread and wheel offset front and rear (Traxxas Rustler (which i have never owned but have seen enough), ECX Circuit, HSP Viper, Helion Conquest 10XB (all 3 of which i currently own) are all examples of that style. On the ECX Circuit, you can use the same wheels front and rear, but on the Conquest you can't, because of an odd offset, and the HSP Viper it entirely depends on what offset you use in the front. Others though, like the Arrma Fazon Voltage, use the same wheels front and rear, with different tires. I am pretty sure the TLR SST's are that way as well, but i sold mine awhile back, since i never used it, so i dont really remember.