Tire Balancer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Nerd

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
How many of you guys balance your tires...and which balancer do you use? I've yet to balance any of mine...but I suck at gluing tires so the ones I did sure could use straighting up via balancing clay. I see it mostly in the 1/8 Truggy class, and I run a truggy...plus I'm sure my Savage tires could use balancing.

My thought is that we put all this work into working on our suspension, steering ackerman, acceleration, diff work, etc. ...tires balance has to play a role in this.

So my question is....do tire balancers realy work well?

I want to get the best one but don't want to over-pay for anything either. It's like Werks engines vs O.S.

Werks engines have a lower price point so it might make them seem inferior...but they kick O.S.' ass, in my opinion. So want to get the one that works the best.
Thanks!

Balancing works fine but unless your racing it isnt really a big deal IMO. Still though if your like me and you like doing it just for the sake of tinkering this was my solution so I could balance any size tire with any size hex.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUaDjGt-oI8"]RC wheel balancer for all hex sizes - YouTube[/ame]

Hey greywolf74 how did you like those ipanema slick you had on you rusty? I was going to put the 1/10 on my MERV, oh and before I forget how fast did you get it to go?

How many of you guys balance your tires...and which balancer do you use? I've yet to balance any of mine...but I suck at gluing tires so the ones I did sure could use straighting up via balancing clay. I see it mostly in the 1/8 Truggy class, and I run a truggy...plus I'm sure my Savage tires could use balancing.

My thought is that we put all this work into working on our suspension, steering ackerman, acceleration, diff work, etc. ...tires balance has to play a role in this.

So my question is....do tire balancers realy work well?

I want to get the best one but don't want to over-pay for anything either. It's like Werks engines vs O.S.

Werks engines have a lower price point so it might make them seem inferior...but they kick O.S.' ass, in my opinion. So want to get the one that works the best.
Thanks!

AKA makes a hand held balancer that I use and it works great. I too run a truggy and I have found that truggys tires are WAY out of balance and require balancing.

Lee

I suck at gluing too, so mine are all out of whack...doesn't matter to me though, as long as she runs good...I'll bash the hell outta her!

If you race it is worth balancing. As you say, we spend a lot of time making sure the geometry is correct, you will be amazed what a difference it makes when the wheel spin in without wobble.

Hey greywolf74 how did you like those ipanema slick you had on you rusty? I was going to put the 1/10 on my MERV, oh and before I forget how fast did you get it to go?

I like the Ipanema pretty well but the GRPs seem to be more durable. At least in terms of the rims breaking during crashes. I'm assuming its because theres more rim there on the GRPs. The Ipanemas are basically spoked. Both Tires work well if you're not crashing though. The highest I can get mine is about 89 MPH before it comes off the ground. I was working to sort out that problem but then real life threw me a curve ball and I havent had the money to do much RC stuff this year. Wife is outta work. and we picked up a new car payment that we didnt have before.

It's a 2x4 frame with a spare carrier, stub axle & wheel hex affixed to the 2x4 frame.
You mount the wheel needing balanced to it just like you would on your RC & balance the tire.

The one in the link is from a T maxx, but it will work for most RC's with a similar type axle carrier.

If you race it is worth balancing. As you say, we spend a lot of time making sure the geometry is correct, you will be amazed what a difference it makes when the wheel spin in without wobble.

Thanks--yeah it would be for my racers (specifically Truggies). I'm going to first see if our track offers that service. I've decided I'm not going to glue my own tires anymore--I'm just not good at it---so need to weigh cost/value (as even stock ones can be unbalanced). If I do get one, I'm looking at the Losi one.

Thanks for everyone's feedback here!

Thanks--yeah it would be for my racers (specifically Truggies). I'm going to first see if our track offers that service. I've decided I'm not going to glue my own tires anymore--I'm just not good at it---so need to weigh cost/value (as even stock ones can be unbalanced). If I do get one, I'm looking at the Losi one.

Thanks for everyone's feedback here!

Stock mounted truggy tires still need to be balanced.

I run both a truggy and a buggy and I can usually get by with no balancing on the premounted buggy tires but the truggy always need to be balanced.

Lee

I find even my pre-mounted Truggy (AXA) need to be balanced. Some are out by a little, others are out by a lot.

If all you ever want to balance is wheels with 17mm hubs the Losi one works well. That was the first one I ever bought. I figured it would come with adapters to do various size hexes but it doesn't. it only comes with a 17mm and theres a 12mm replacement arm you can buy seperately for it. For racers its a good balancers as all of your truggy, buggy, and onroad cars mostly use either 17 or 12mm. For less money though you can buy the prop balancer like I used in my video and just manufacture a new base for it. Either way...

Back