Thunderquake Diff Problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlouis12

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Please help me, I have a Duratrax Thunderquake and my rear diff keeps going out on me. I have sent the rear diff in a couple of times and have duratrax replace it, and it did not work. I changed it myself a few times and still nothing. I believe the problem lies with poor construction on the parts. Someone please tell me how to get my diffs from stripping. Do i need to;

1. Is there a hopped diff i can buy and put on the Thunderquake? Maybe i can even put in a diff from a different manufacturer.

2. Is there any kind of adjustments i put on the thunderquake? What can i do to solve this problem?

Need to shim them someway. (paper shims?) Try this forum. http://www.extremercparts.com/forum/ pretty dead now, but you can look through and get a little info. Got one guy here that was hardcore on the TQ, but I haven't seen much of him.

I have one, but to tell the truth, not a big fan. I do still run it some, but it's more fragile than anything I have.

crazynutracing has aluminum diff cases

http://www.crazynutracing.com/index.php?cPath=56&osCsid=632575de5a06b54eb129cda755d63409

or as digger stated ... go to the extreme forums .. alot of good info in there on the trucks ... it is pretty much a dead forum but few stop in from time to time still

or http://www.extremercparts.com

he also sells hop ups for the tq ... his stuff is way better than the oem parts .. bit more $$ but well worth it ...

i used to have a TQ got rid of it for a 1/8 buggy ...

a few hop ups and the trucks are strong ... diff cases , spur / bell gears , and axles

extreme rc sells all these upgrades for the truck ...

i had extereme dog bones , universals , spur gears , crazynut diff cases

i made my own cage for it , but some shock tower supports help a ton ... also easily made ..

i made t-maxx wheel adapters to drop the wheel size down some and take some strain off the drive train and steering servo , i had a xtm 175 oz. torque. servo for steering and a xtm 24.7 motor with an aftermarket head from american cnc , aluminum a-arms from a guy that used to sell them on ebay ,

the cage also allowed me to run double set of shocks ...

here is a pic of it in the rebuild i did last before my buddy bought it ...

TQREBUILD.sized.gif

Last edited:
Gears inside the diff case

It is not so mucht the diff case that is the problem, it is the gears inside the diff case that keep stripping. I have changed those gears many times and still they stripp. Is the a hop up gear assembly i can use? The planetary gears are not working.

the alum. diff case will keep the gears more inline that the stock plastic ones ...

once i put the alum. diff cases in my truck i never had an issue with it ...

Diff case

so are you telling you had the same problem with diff case before you put in the aluminum diff case? and what other steps did you take before puting in the aluminum diff case.

Seems like there was a hop-up that put a hose clamp around the diff housing for some reason?
Also, if I'm not mistaken the Dirt Demon diffs fit? I know some of those parts fit the TQ.

Wyatt knows for sure.
Don't mean to put you on the spot bro. But I've read your posts on the other forum and you seem to know what you are talking about. I still may work on mine too.

i am not sure if the diffs from the dd fit in the tq or not ...

extremerc sells high tension clams for the bulkhead to keep the ring and pinion gears from jumping and skipping and stripping ... or people have just put a small hose clamp there ...

it keeps the bulkhead from seperating and the pinion shaft from moving ...

i never had a problem there ... but i added the part just for safe measures ...

i know certain parts from the dirt demon fit the tq ...

the truck can really be solid and tear it up with the right upgraded parts ....

i can't say enough to get the thicker gear ... or depending on which version of tranny you have you can double up on the 1st gear spur ... i did that until i got ahold of the extreme gears ... there is not enough room to double up both ... but most of your chewing problem is in frist gear .. since this is where most of your torque comes from to get the beast moving ...

the axles are another major upgrade ... then the universals and dog bones ... i added a pic of the stock and extreme dog bones side by side .. the extreme bones look like tree trunks next to the oem ones ...

Attachments

• bones.jpg
    bones.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Back