throttle sticks wide open

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

challis349

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
so far I have ran about 10 tanks through my ansmann virus with a picco p3 .21 engine, although both times when I have gone full throttle, the servo has stuck wide open or the slide carb has, one or the other, its not down to batteries, or loss of signal, as both times I was running a fresh set, and purchased a fail safe, has anyone any ideas of what I can have a look at or what would be wrong, as both times it flew of straight into a tree, and now am waiting for new wheels and tyres for the front as they got ripped apart, new steering set as it bent, new upper suspension arms and a new shockstay, needless to say iwas not happy, as i don't really know why it happened, please help a beginer out thanks

check your linkages. I had a problem with my first rc and when i would go full throttle, the linkage would bow out a hair and then i couldn't close it. Luckily i was a n00b at tuning and was running lean so it just killed on me.

post a video of your linkage in action if you can.

Are you positive the slide is open? Sounds like maybe an airleak?

with the car off, cycle the linkage and see if it is hanging up on anything.

Yep. Sounds like binding in the carb barrel. Some are more picky than others, but you need to get your wire linkage on the servo as parallel to the movement of the slide on the carb as possible. Any off angle will cause binding.

It may require washers under the pivot/slider on the servo arm or rotating the carb or rotating the pivot ball on the carb slide.

You should probably install a throttle return spring. It will make sure the throttle returns to idle after your failsafe kicks in. Just a nice thing to have.

You may need to remove the idle screw and carb slide. Polish it up a bit and debur the area that the idle screw rides in. Grease it with some good grease, not ARO!
Shoulld fix it, everything else metioned above is true as well. Picco's are nknown for sticky carbs in the past. They have supposedly fixed the problem on their newer models.

linkage could also be hanging on the air filter if the filters going rite on top the carb, i have a t-maxx that did that till i bent the linkage...

Call me stupid, but WTF is "ARO" ????

After Run Oil. Stuff you put in your engine after running it to avoid rust issues. Usually used for storing more than a few days between runs.

Smells like automatic transmission fluid, but is more watery. I use ATF mixed with MMO 50/50. ;)

OHHHHHH, ok. didn't know the acronym

MMO ?? now u got me is it M_______ Motor oil ??????

MMO ?? now u got me is it M_______ Motor oil ??????

Sorry, that was a bit of a joke... another acronym. ;)

Marvel Mystery Oil. Not sure what's in it, but it seems to work well mixed with some ATF.

hmmm..........is there some sort of "acronym" guide around, looks like i'm going to be needing one !! :hehe:

Back