Thoughts on a savage engine, XTM 24.7?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Anyone run a XTM 24.7 engine in their savage? If so, how did/do you like it?

I guess it doesn't matter as I've already placed the order, but I thought I'd ask.

I wanted an engine that wasn't insanely powerful because I want a truck that's reliable, not one that blows diffs and snaps center axles ever other weekend.

Regardless what you ran that engine in, what pipe did you use that worked best? I'll be starting with the HPI polished savage pipe. I have a few others I've picked up along the way. An XTM BB maxx conversion pipe, a duratrax warhead pipe (used on my BB revo with an XTM24.7) and a HPI ribbed pipe. I don't care for the ribbed pipe, too loud.

The only things I have to compare it to directly is in a revo compared to the 18TM which I also tried an OS21RG in and the 24.7 had more torque than both.

I currently have my old "winter" OS21RG in the savage, but it seems a bit lacking and it's really old (4+ years, 16+ gallons w/pinch at 12). I run it in the winter because I don't care about it and it has enough power to work for when I just need a nitro fix.

Anyway, thoughts on the 24.7? What would you say it compares to in a MT? Is it like the mach 427 gold head? The Losi M26SS? Or is it far weaker than either of those?

I had one of those engines in my savage. It's a decent little motor. Plenty of power, considering the price range. I think you'll like it. However, if you have the cash, go the Pro model; it's a bit more power.

It is a perfect monster mill. Pick up a 2053 pipe. It works great. That is the style of pipe XTM supplies for the engine in thier RTRs.
It will wheelie easily. 16/47 gearing will be optimal depending on your tire selection.

Last edited:
It is a perfect monster mill. Pick up a 2053 pipe. It works great. That is the style of pipe XTM supplies for the engine in thier RTRs.
It will wheelie easily. 16/47 gearing will be optimal depending on your tire selection.

That's good news... but I'm running 16/47 now and the bell hits the brake disks, so I'm going to need to go up to 16/49 to push the engine further away.

That combined with the 3-speed should still give me good top speed.

I had a 24.7 in my buggy that I traded and I tried it in my aftershock for a day of bashing. It wasn't really any stronger in that truck than the losi M26SS, but to be honest, it's not that bad of an engine either. Cheap and leaky, but with a better pipe and some RTV, it had quite a bit of snap. I also ran the 24.7 in a BB revo, it was wheelie city in that thing and I went back to the 18TM just to make it driveable again.

Thanks for the info guys.

Back