Thinking of going 1/6 scale.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb90

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Been a while since I've posted, moved from upstate NY to Ky. Finally getting settled into new home and playin with toys again. Any who , I'm thinking of parting ways with my corally kronos xtr and going to traxxas xmaxx or there new truggy. Reason for this is i enjoy the bigger scale units, easy to control and handle. Love my kronos for this, but traxxas is the only company making bigger scale units with plastic chassies. I have grown quite fond of my rival mt10 and arrma big rock designs of chassie. Its either strait or broke, they seem much more durable. My hesitation is price for parts, 1/8 scale parts are pretty pricey, makes me worried the xmaxx stuff will be even more. Plus my two biggest batteries are 3s. So id have to invest in more and bigger batteries. Honestly its more about wants vs needs, trying to decide if its worth the hassle

Hey Caleb. Wondered where you and the MT10 had gotten off to. Good reading you are settling into your new digs. Probably a big change, in more ways than one.

Yeah, that bigger scale stuff is gonna pound the pocketbook. Guess the upside is it's durable enough to not break a lot of parts. Electric, gas or nitro? You're talking batteries so guess the choice is electric power.

You researched the MT10 purchase well, so figger you'll do the same with this RC adventure. What think the kids? They'll be pulling trigger with you. Anyway, glad you're back online. Cheers. 'AC'

The Xmaxx kicks some serious butt. I built mine and love it.

Love my X-Maxx.. took me awhile to pull the trigger because of the price, but glad I did.. Love it.

My corally kronos is a good unit dont get me wrong, but they arnt as durable as arrma or traxxas. Plus parts are harder to get

Parts are going to be more expensive. They take up even more room on your hobby bench to work on if thats a limitation for you. As far as batteries go I'm pretty sure all the 1/6 and 1/7 scale rig are 6S so your 3S packs should be fine. I dont believe you get in to 8S rigs until you hit 1/5 scale which is going to be even more expensive, even bigger on your hobby bench, and you will need multiple 4S LiPos. That being said Liperior and CNHL G+ both make sone decently priced 4S packs.

Parts are going to be more expensive. They take up even more room on your hobby bench to work on if thats a limitation for you. As far as batteries go I'm pretty sure all the 1/6 and 1/7 scale rig are 6S so your 3S packs should be fine. I dont believe you get in to 8S rigs until you hit 1/5 scale which is going to be even more expensive, even bigger on your hobby bench, and you will need multiple 4S LiPos. That being said Liperior and CNHL G+ both make sone decently priced 4S packs.
The X-Maxx is actually 8S, which I think is what he is looking at.

The X-Maxx is actually 8S, which I think is what he is looking at.
Yes thats what i am looking at. I could run it on 6s. I run my corally kronos on 4s, tride 6s once and it was stupidly fast.. tooo fast
The kronos did get some love this am. Had a tire blow out, no local shops near by so i ordered a tire and wheel kit off amazon that had decent reviews. These things are huge, twice the width as the stock tires

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_122425109.jpg
    IMG_20221129_122425109.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20221129_122453126.jpg
    IMG_20221129_122453126.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20221129_122502841.jpg
    IMG_20221129_122502841.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20221129_122529542.jpg
    IMG_20221129_122529542.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 32
Ok, I was confused because his thread title said he was looking at 1/6 scale kits which the XMAXX & the XRT are both 1/5 scale kits. I guess I didnt thoroughly read the post where he said he was looking at the XMAXX & XRT rigs specifically

Yes thats what i am looking at. I could run it on 6s. I run my corally kronos on 4s, tride 6s once and it was stupidly fast.. tooo fast
The kronos did get some love this am. Had a tire blow out, no local shops near by so i ordered a tire and wheel kit off amazon that had decent reviews. These things are huge, twice the width as the stock tires
Be careful running such a bigger tire. Keep an eye on motor and esc temps. That can cause things to heay up much quicker.

Ok, I was confused because his thread title said he was looking at 1/6 scale kits which the XMAXX & the XRT are both 1/5 scale kits. I guess I didnt thoroughly read the post where he said he was looking at the XMAXX & XRT rigs specifically
Xmaxx isnt a true 1/5 scale
Be careful running such a bigger tire. Keep an eye on motor and esc temps. That can cause things to heay up much quicker.
Yeup esc just over heated in 60degree temps.. but tray was packed full of leaves. I didnt realize they were this big till i got them

Xmaxx isnt a true 1/5 scale
Its longer than the Kraton 8S and nearly as wide. Both kits run on 8S and are powered by a 1250kV and a 1275kV motors respectively. They both weigh around 20lbs. Arrma calls the Kraton a 1/5 scale Traxxas's website doesn't actually say what scale the Xmaxx is but judging from the specs Id say its a 1/5 scale. Pretty sure most folks consider it a 1/5 scale. 🤷‍♂️

They
Its longer than the Kraton 8S and nearly as wide. Both kits run on 8S and are powered by a 1250kV and a 1275kV motors respectively. They both weigh around 20lbs. Arrma calls the Kraton a 1/5 scale Traxxas's website doesn't actually say what scale the Xmaxx is but judging from the specs Id say its a 1/5 scale. Pretty sure most folks consider it a 1/5 scale. 🤷‍♂️
They are quite a bit smaller than a baja ,rovan , redcat mt ect.
Put the stock 13t pinion on the kronos to help with temps. Id say it was time, this 14t is whooped

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_154257712.jpg
    IMG_20221129_154257712.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 28
Scale is pretty much a moot topic when it comes to RC. Take the Pro-Line Ford Raptor body for the X-Maxx for example. The wheelbase is 18.9". The actual Ford Raptor extended cab has a 157" wheelbase. 157÷18.9=8.3. So how is that even remotely close to 1/5 or 1/6 scale?

Last edited:
Compare Breydon's drag car to the Xmaxx. it is 1/10 scale but huge.

To me, the Xmaxx is too big for a 1/7 but Traxxas says it is.

They are quite a bit smaller than a baja ,rovan , redcat mt ect.
Heres the dimensions of 6 different 1/5 scale rigs including the XMAXX. The L x W x H measurements are all within about 3 inches or so of each other between all 6 rigs. Every company on this list states that their kit is 1/5 scale except Traxxas who doesn't tell us what scale its supposed to be but its the same basic size as all the rest of these. Its longer than 2 of the other 5 rigs, Its wider than 3 of the other 5 rigs, and its the tallest out of all 6 rigs. Explain to me how the XMaxx isnt a 1/5 scale again?

(Yes, I know that real scale isnt applicable to the RC world and I'm not talking about real scale. My point is that its the same basic size as all of these other 1/5 scale rigs)

All dimensions are given in inches
XMAXX:
30.7 x 21.3 x 13.8

Kraton 8S:
29.92 x 23.7 x 10.47

Baja 5b:
32.16 x 18.89 x 10.03

Redcat Rampage:
29.52 x 21.25 x 12.59

Losi DBXL 2.0:
33.25 x 19.5 x 12.5

Exceed Hannibal:
31.88 x 23.62 x 12.79

Hey Caleb. Wondered where you and the MT10 had gotten off to. Good reading you are settling into your new digs. Probably a big change, in more ways than one.

Yeah, that bigger scale stuff is gonna pound the pocketbook. Guess the upside is it's durable enough to not break a lot of parts. Electric, gas or nitro? You're talking batteries so guess the choice is electric power.

You researched the MT10 purchase well, so figger you'll do the same with this RC adventure. What think the kids? They'll be pulling trigger with you. Anyway, glad you're back online. Cheers. 'AC'
Still loving the mt10 i just litterly ordered the f250 body that you fitted on yours after reading your post..
Heres the dimensions of 6 different 1/5 scale rigs including the XMAXX. The L x W x H measurements are all within about 3 inches or so of each other between all 6 rigs. Every company on this list states that their kit is 1/5 scale except Traxxas who doesn't tell us what scale its supposed to be but its the same basic size as all the rest of these. Its longer than 2 of the other 5 rigs, Its wider than 3 of the other 5 rigs, and its the tallest out of all 6 rigs. Explain to me how the XMaxx isnt a 1/5 scale again?

(Yes, I know that real scale isnt applicable to the RC world and I'm not talking about real scale. My point is that its the same basic size as all of these other 1/5 scale rigs)

All dimensions are given in inches
XMAXX:
30.7 x 21.3 x 13.8

Kraton 8S:
29.92 x 23.7 x 10.47

Baja 5b:
32.16 x 18.89 x 10.03

Redcat Rampage:
29.52 x 21.25 x 12.59

Losi DBXL 2.0:
33.25 x 19.5 x 12.5

Exceed Hannibal:
31.88 x 23.62 x 12.79
Well i guess i stand corrected. I always took the xmaxx as an inbetween size

I consider xmaxx to be 6 scale.

You can consider buying used to save a little bit of money. But it may take some time to find a good deal. Xmaxx is very popular so it will hold a price on used market. Also I would suggest to look for a car with no mods as close as stock as possible and not beaten. Buying used can be risky so even you will be looking for very nice shape, or if it's beaten very low price.

I bought mine xmaxx for 450$, all stock except max6 combo for 450$, but it had missing motor mount and spur gear, so let's say 500$ with parts needed

IMG_20220323_083520890_HDR~2.jpg

Back