Thinking about getting an on-road touring car (or rally)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy Wolf

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So, I am thinking about getting an on-road, because my nearest hobby store is making a paved track. I am not going to go like 500$ more like around 200-250$. I was wondering several things. First up, should I get a kit or an rtr? If rtr, is the vaterra nissan gtr gt3 good to start with?('cause it's pretty awesome looking) If a kit, can you give a good example? If i get a rally what would be a good car that fits my budget? Thanks. :)

The Vaterra line is making a lot of good reviews over on Big Squid. They have some SWEET looking scale on-road cars. And I hate to keep going back to this, but if you want readily available parts, the Traxxas Rally would be it.
I REALLY dig the RS-4 line feom HPI too.

The rs4 is pretty cool. Is the chassis better than the vaterra's in any way? My first choice would have been the traxxas rally, but my local hobby store doesn't carry parts. Also i don't like to spend that much at one time. I mighr get it one day.........

The last on-road car I had was an Associated TC-3 and that's ancient so.... lol.

I have an old Super RS4 that I just finished rebuilding. I'm trying to keep it all original with the 12E engine but its nearly impossible to find parts, leaving me dead in the water... I would suggest buying based off of which parts are easily available to you.

Thanks, my hobby store supplies hpi and vaterra equaly, so it is definitly between those two.

O.K beem researching around and actually found a much better deal. The Team associated apex scion somthing or other(The orange one). It comes with battery and charger, and is brushless unlike the vaterra. (Is the rs-4 bl?) The only bad thing is that the vaterra is cooler looking. But hey, knowing me I'll probably mess up the paint job pretty quickly. :)

You might want to check into the actual physical dimensions of the cars you're looking at. I forget what cars went head to head but one was the associated... One of the cars was a LOT smaller than the other. Was almost as if it was 1/10 vs 1/12 scale. Just a heads up. Good luck!

Thanks Certified Mike, I looked at the dimensions and the vaterra is actually a good bit smaller. The new ones I'm considering a the tamiya tt-02 associated tc4 and associated apex scipn tc

Since I know nothing about on-road which chassis looks better to the experts?
images-1.jpeg
images.jpeg

I used to have a TC-3 and the 4 is anot updated version of that. Good chassis. And honestly, from what I know and have read, you can't go wrong with Associated. IIRC the TC-6 is one of the more popular touring car chassis at the moment. Given the choices you mentioned, my little (very little) road experience would be looking at the TC-4

Having only read reviews and not owning (but having owned off-road of both brands) I would prob go associated as well.

Okay final question. Is the apex the same chassis as the tc4 or different? If different does anyone know why?

So now I had a good half day researching around and these are some of the options-

Team Associated TC4
Team Associated Apex (Kit or RTR?)
Kyosho 1/10 Fazer Audi R8 Matte Black 4WD RTR
HPI sprint 2
Sakura Zero S
Tamiya? (Not sure which platform is the best)

Any other possibilities? The Team Associateds look good to me so does the kyosho.

Have you checked around to see about parts availability locally? I would stay with a company with good parts support. Associated and Kyosho are both good about supporting their kits. I am not trying to bag on the others, I'm just not personally familiar with them.

Back