The Slash overheated, again, but something ain't smooth today. . .

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The RC Car

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Took the Slash out for the first time in a few weeks, I just drifted on the nice slick floor in the garage. It overheated after about ten minutes, no big deal, brought it out about an hour later, it overheated in about 15 seconds. I took turned it off, and rolled it, about every 1 1/4 turn (center driveshaft) the car would become harder to push. Any ideas y'all?

possible bent idler shaft? you crack open the trans and take a peek in there?
also, slipper, is it warped?

Are your wheels bent? do you have bearings or bushings on axle? what weight silicone did you use in diff? Are you using stock axle shaft?
move the pinion away from spur and see if wheels binds, then check if spur is free. take output pins out and check that everything is moving freely.

Are your wheels bent? do you have bearings or bushings on axle? what weight silicone did you use in diff? Are you using stock axle shaft?
move the pinion away from spur and see if wheels binds, then check if spur is free. take output pins out and check that everything is moving freely.
I had just put the brand new Bandito SC wheels on, so I don't think they are the problem. I think I have bearings. All gearing is either stock or was included with the car from Traxxas. The diff I have never opened, up, so just whatever is stock. you just lost me when you said "output pins", I've only had the car for about a year lol.

possible bent idler shaft? you crack open the trans and take a peek in there?
also, slipper, is it warped?
Not sure what an idler shaft is/if this particular Slash 4x4 has one, to be honest, maybe you're thinking of a different model. The whole slipper is brand new. Not sure what you mean by the transmission, do you mean the motor?

Is it a 2 wheel drive brushed or brushless . Is it a VXL? If it's not a VXL you most likely have bushings in the axle carriers instead of bearings. Those bushings will wear out and become a problem. Your output shaft is what comes out of the transmission and goes into the axle. The output shaft pin are in the axle shaft at the transmission. They are a threaded post screw. The Idler shaft is the shaft that the spur gear is on that goes between the spur and the differentials

Last edited:
Is it a 2 wheel drive brushed or brushless . Is it a VXL? If it's not a VXL you most likely have bushings in the axle carriers instead of bearings. Those bushings will wear out and become a problem. Your output shaft is what comes out of the transmission and goes into the axle. The output shaft pin are in the axle shaft at the transmission. They are a threaded post screw. The Idler shaft is the shaft that the spur gear is on that goes between the spur and the differentials
Slash 4x4 VXL-3s brushless. Oh, okay I know what you mean I think. Yes, everything moves freely now, the bearings are good. I took out the motor and when I put it in I noticed the spur and pinion weren't lined up right, and that the pin for the pinion gear was rubbing a tiny bit on the spur gear, everything looks fine though, no damage done :)

Took the Slash out for the first time in a few weeks, I just drifted on the nice slick floor in the garage. It overheated after about ten minutes, no big deal, brought it out about an hour later, it overheated in about 15 seconds. I took turned it off, and rolled it, about every 1 1/4 turn (center driveshaft) the car would become harder to push. Any ideas y'all?
Gear mesh off

Okay, took the slash out and it worked great :)

Not sure what an idler shaft is/if this particular Slash 4x4 has one, to be honest, maybe you're thinking of a different model. The whole slipper is brand new. Not sure what you mean by the transmission, do you mean the motor?
sorry man thought was the 2wd version, in the trans is an idler shaft on the 2wd than can bend, but on 4wd i have no idea the internals.
glad you got it figured!!

Back