The FPV Pilot Test

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Want to get into FPV? Try this first

So you just stumbled across some awesome FPV video of Team Blacksheep tearing up the sides of mountains, and surfing the clouds only to find your mind blown and racing on how to do this yourself. Well, before we start clicking "Add to Cart" and embarking on the long and difficult (but rewarding) path of understanding and applying all that is involved (HAM, RC, Vtx/Vrx, soldering, etc) try this first to see if FPV is right for you.

Step 1- Take a clear jar and put $500 in it and put the lid on, and place the jar in a place you will see everyday. Every time you look at this jar, think about all the awesome stuff you are going to do with your FPV ship. Do this for at *least* 1 full month.

Step 2- After X amount of time has passed, and your becoming stupid excited to get going, take that jar off the shelf and go find a nice tall bridge.

Step 3- Open the jar, take the money out and throw it off the side. Do not look where it goes. Do not go after it. Simply turn around and go home. IF you can go to sleep that night, without punching yourself in the nards (editied for RCNT) repeatedly for doing something so dumb, THEN!!! . . . . Then you are ready to begin the road to FPV.

Step 4- Get your HAM licence, and proceed from there. Have Fun!

:hehe:

I thought eating pork products didn't require a license... (I already have one. I got it to use the 54 MHz RC Band originally.)

I thought eating pork products didn't require a license... (I already have one. I got it to use the 54 MHz RC Band originally.)

It requires a hunting license in the case of wild pork. :p: You only need the HAM if you decide to go with a licensed band in the US, which I'll be doing in the future. As with most things, the licensed band has much better performance due to the lack of cheap wally world chinese crap flooding the airwaves among other reasons. That was posted over at an FPV forum, I thought it was pretty funny.

A technician class license is all you'll need to do remote video. The 23 cm (900 MHz) band is usually not crowded and is used for video transmission for that reason.

A technician class license is all you'll need to do remote video. The 23 cm (900 MHz) band is usually not crowded and is used for video transmission for that reason.

Awesome, thanks for the info hamz. My plan right now is to do the HAM for my RC link actually, using a Dragonlink LRS on 433mhz, and use 1.3 for video. Main reason for this is that we have a WISP (wireless ISP) here that runs a ton of 900mhz stuff, and secondly the antenna that I'll be using are HUGE for the 900 band. They're still fairly big on 1.3, but doable though.

Actually the ham band there is at 1200MHz. That one is also used for video as well as digital voice (think VOIP) for linking to amateur repeaters across the world.

Back