The Big One.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I originally drew this 2 years ago and this is what it originally looked like. At the time it was intended to navigate elevation and structures in my backyard. I've lengthened and modified this several times to add/deduct complexity and character. The track has always been designed for the smaller scale cars in order to create a somewhat scale racetrack which is very difficult with 1:10 scale cars due to distance of sight concerns. The lanes are designed to be 3 ft. wide (suitable for 1:36 - 1:18).

BackyardTrack001.gif

Now that I've adjusted this "cartoon" a million times over the past few years I will paste it onto a layer in AutoCAD and create a precision drawing over it on another layer.

The following photos include my versions of Laguna Seca's "Corkscrew", Shanhai's turn 13, Spa's "Eau Rouge" and Suzuka's spoon & 130R.

I call the oval "Darlingville"

Long Course
longcourse002.gif

Short Course.
shortcourse001.gif

Complete Track
fullcourse003.gif

Last edited:
very nice! so are you actually going to build the 'complete' track? should be a killer project to watch.

Yes, I "would like" to build the complete track. This is a HUGE project and will probably take me many years to complete. First I gotta stop buying r/c cars :eek:) They suck up all the money I need to take this one on. Honestly though, just in my spare time I bet it takes me 2 or 3 years just to draw it before build actually begins. I do not plan to build this into the ground. It needs to be designed on a computer because it will be built like a deck. A racetrack is just a road on the ground but this project is intended to be a dissassemblable, storable and transportable venue, if for no other reason than "because I want to".

That's a HUGE project indeed,to be able to disassemble and transport it will really take some ingenuity and careful design.
I think I'll still be around for a few years so I'll be watching the progress :D

wow that is a HUGE project; good luck with it.

I wasn't very happy with the uppermost section so I changed this up a bit. I felt the exit section of the 90 degree right-hander was not long enough. I wanted my corkscrew to be a bit further away from the fast 90 so the breaking zone would be later. Essentially I want that 90 to be a significantly important handling area and didn't want the breaking zone after it to be too soon that it would negate any advantage of good apex speed through the 90. I also wanted the short cute before eau rouge to be a bit longer as well so I move the "onramp" to the left a bit. Since I've essentially seperated the onramp from my corkscrew I needed to change up the transition a bit without adding too much speed. The new turn added may be the most difficult to master on the track.

img1281787406912.gif

So last weekend (before I redrew) I attempted to start drawing this in CAD but was having difficulty inserting an image into the program. I had done it before and knew it was possible but I just couldn't get it to come up. I gave up and literally went back to the drawing board. This weekend I thought to give it another go. Again I was having the same problems. I would paste but nothing would show up. Then I realized I didn't have the layer turned on.:doh: It was there.. the lights were just off. :nono: Hey, I'm self taught. Gimme a break :D

The left please. :)

I did a little more adjusting to the design last weekend in an attempt to lessen the complexity of the infield and create a smoother flow. The sharp right hander following the decreasing radius left is now a symmetrical box corner. I'll have to get a pic up to show you what I mean.

*edit*

Hehe. I've reworked this so many times I've forgotten that I've adjusted my adjustment. It's not a box corner anymore, it's a simple 135-ish hairpin. I wanted to smooth out the flow by taking away some breaking so that's why I've made so many adjustments to this area. That short chute is now shorter than the original design so there will be less throttle on heading toward it and probably more throttle off turn-in. Not 100% sold on this though as it really takes away from the decreasing radius left.. which honestly is no longer a decreasing radius turn.

img1282565228334.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, sometimes I feel like it gives me one too. The more I look at the new infield the less I like it. Maybe it needs to be extra tight there.. I feel like it kinda gives it character.

Change of plans...

Putting my dream track on the backburner so I can focus on something substantially less complicated. I'm just going to do a big superspeedway oval track. At the moment I'm thinking it will be D-shaped and definitely be progressively banked. Size... well, big. I just purchased a TurboCAD package with a bunch of self-teaching lessons so that should be a bit more helpful than even the high-end 2D program I have now.

Putting my dream track on the backburner so I can focus on something substantially less complicated. I'm just going to do a big superspeedway oval track. At the moment I'm thinking it will be D-shaped and definitely be progressively banked. Size... well, big. I just purchased a TurboCAD package with a bunch of self-teaching lessons so that should be a bit more helpful than even the high-end 2D program I have now.

When your done.... can I contract you out to rework my track? :D

Wow that be so fun to build, keep us posted man