The BIG Jump (Video is up!)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racer, that's a killer idea! Those kids are going to be begging their parents for RCs for Christmas. I can't wait to see the "big jump."

i would loan you this one, but i left it at my old house when i moved.. and shipping would be killer..

yea i think you got plenty of ramp. just dont miss!

That would be fun, but I think it would be to much up and not enough over! I'm used to trying to hit my son's narrow ramp when using a rough grass approach. This ramp is wider and I'm getting a run at it across an asphalt parking lot so I don't think there will be any problems hitting it :)

Here's pic with my Aftershock sitting on it for a size comparisson for you.

sizecomp2,JPG

The Ramp is Done!

My son helped me ouy tonight and together we finished the ramp.

I had him painting the base. We chose blue to go along with color of the VBS theme.

sonpainting.JPG

Meanwhile I decided a pattern I wanted for the top. Something simple and easy of course! I drew one triangle and cut it out of a scrap piece of the top board to use as a template. I laid the template in place,sprayed a light coat then moved it down 18" and painted another. Then I taped off the pattern I had lightly painted and applied more coats until it was a solid color.

masked.JPG

The only to do now was attach the top to the base. Now we have a ramp! Next thing to do is get the truck ready, tomorrow will be a busy afternoon.

ramp1.JPG

ramp2.JPG

wow Racer, that jump came out really sharp. i wish my VBS did stuff like this when i went. and I'm with AxialLST, what kid doesn't love destruction? thats a great idea, and cheap to! can't wait to see it in action

I guess I can't take all the credit for the idea, back in the early 90's when I was a kid I was big into 1:1 monster trucks and they came out with a set that had a monster truck and a matchbox size mold that you molded tin foil with to make cars to crush. Anyway I hope the kids there have a blast and I am sure they will enjoy the show. I bet you get at least 10 of them asking you to jump them with it lol.

-AxialLST

good job racer, but just remember if they ask you back next year, you have to go bigger!!

that is really great what your doing. my pastor asked me awhile back to do a little demo for there church. it was like a fun day with ponys and games and stuff like a fair. i wasn't able to do it because of work. i wish i could have.!

i think I'm going to ask to do it and use my lst2 watcya think ? bu ti wont jump a 1:1 car ill jump a bike or quad or something and use my pallet ramp that i made for home LOL

i think I'm going to ask to do it and use my lst2 watcya think ? bu ti wont jump a 1:1 car ill jump a bike or quad or something and use my pallet ramp that i made for home LOL

If it's the ramp I'm thinking of, I want video. I love crash videos!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well guys, if read the date for the jump, by now you know it's a done deal. I'm sorry I haven't kept you updated on the progress, but it's been a really hectic,long week.

I'll start with what I did for the truck for now. As for the jump, I'll only say this, it was perfect weather,attempts were made and VIDEO is coming!

Really not a lot to do to the truck. As it was, it was set up for my on-road experiment. For a big jump I put it back to monster truck setup. I reinstalled the 25 tvps,stock shocks and switched back to 47/15 gearing. I also choose to go back to the stock tires since they are softer. I need all the cushion I can get right? Nothing trick and fancy there huh?

To enhance it a little I wanted a custom theme matched body. I choose the early 50's truck by Pro-Line as seen earlier. I also tried out some new paint by Pactra, it's 2 stage metallic laquer. I gotta say I like the way this paint turned out. Not as good as it could have been, but as usual I rushed it and it's bit flawed but ok. For a more in depth look, I'll be posting it in the Paint and Body section. Check it out HERE

After painting I printed some theme stickers, trimmed and stuck them on. Not what I really had planned, but time was short as usual. Here's look at the finshed truck. It was finished on my lunch hour Friday, just hours before the jump.

donefront.JPG

donerear.JPG

I'll try to get the video up ASAP. Anyone want to see the whole unedited version or edited to just the highlights?

Last edited:
I agree, that is a great color for that body, looking forward to the video :D.

-AxialLST

Video!

Time was near for the jump and I was getting nervous. Not that I'd wreck or tear something up, just that something would break on the truck before I got to even try. I loaded up nearly every spare part I had,extra plugs,fuel,batteries, igniters and tools to do the job. I even talked my son in to letting use his T-Maxx as a back up if something catastrophic happened to Mine. I was determined to not let down the kids!

Before I go on I gotta tell you this story. If you have kids I'm sure you'll see the humor in it. While building the ramp and working on the truck I was running out of time. I told my son that I had hoped to have it all done in time to do some practice jumps but it didn't work out. I said to him "I guess we'll have to just do this cold turkey!" On the way to VBS my son's friends were riding with us and I heard my son start talking about the jump. Next thing I hear, he says "yeah, my dad said he wanted to practice but he's just going to do it cold CHICKEN" :hehe:
My wife and an I both were rolling on that one. Only from the mouths of kids!

Back to the jump. I took everything up the church early so I could at least fire up the truck and make sure it was ready. Boy I'm glad I did! It was running rich and it wouldn't idle when the trim was backed off. I stopped, shut it off and went to dig out my tuning screwdriver and temp gun. Upon trying to restart, it wouldn't. Man was I getting worried now. It didn't take long to trace the problem though, my rechargeable glow igniter was already dead and it was freshly charged the day before! I grabbed a back-up and she fired right up. As suspected, it was rich and the temps weren't even getting over 200. A little minor tweaking and she was purring again.
One of the VBS leaders wanted to take it inside. He had set up a display table for it in the lobby so everyone would see it. With everything set for the jump, I hit the grill and started flipping burgers.

After the kids did their VBS program, everyone came outside for a big cookout. With everyone fed, it's Jump time!

The truckd started instantly. I drove it around a little to warm it up. I looked around at all the people watching,I didn't think it would bother me at all but I got a bit nervous. But it's time for the jumps! So here's what you've all been wanting to see! I put in in the video forum HERE so more people would see it, ENJOY!

Nice jump bro! Looks like you had a ton of fun to. I really liked the second jump it was sooo sweet! A+ dude all the way!!!!

Great job man! Glad everyone enjoyed it. Wish I could've been there to see it.

Back