The best "budget" Truggy on the market?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexcom

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello,

I'm new here so I apologize if I post in wrong section.

Two of my friend just bought two Kyosho Inferno Neo ST Race spec to play with. (Both broke the crankshaft after brake in btw, so i have big questionmarks of the quality on the KE25 engine)

Now I want to buy a Truggy as well. I'm not a pro and will not compete with it. I need a truggy that is powerful, with great speed and accleration and with enougt quality for a hobby user like me.

The cars I've looked at is:

HPI Trophy 4.6 Truggy RTR (Cheap to buy)
Hobao Hyper ST RTR (Ok price, heard negativ things about the engine)
Losi 8ight T 2.0 Truggy RTR (Expensive, is it worth it?)
Hong Nor X1X-CRT Truggy RTR (cheapest of them)

What do you recommend me?

I'v read som things on the net and overall people recommends Losi or Hobao. And probobly you get what you pay for but what makes Losi better than HPI for example? Will I as a hobby user even notice the difference between the cars?

Which car has the overall best engine in terms of power/speed and quality?

Please give me some advice here :p:

Thank you!

Trophy truggy is great but losi 8T definitely worth the $799. If you plan on racing get the losi but for bashing around the HPI will be great.

Trophy truggy is great but losi 8T definitely worth the $799. If you plan on racing get the losi but for bashing around the HPI will be great.

Okay thanks for the answer.

What are the main differences in advantage to Losi? Is it speed, durability or other things?

For the money on the RTR its just simply the best racer and it comes with a spectrum DX3S with telemetry and its own starter box. Hell thats $300 worth of radio electronics and starter box. Its a quality racer right out of the box! I'm gonna buy one eventually just probably as a kit and I've got a wish list build figured of $1320 so far. But as RTR you can't beat it. It comes with the .28 losi big block as well.

So you clearly vote for Losi :)

I will try to convince my self that it's worth the extra money :)

As a basher if you never want to race you can probably get away with any truggy from any hobby grade brand. HPI, OFNA/Hobao/Hong Nor, Losi, Associated, Mugen, Hot bodies, Kyosho, Xray, Durango, Serpent etc etc are all fine for bashing.

A few of them however a few kits (I can't speak for all brands) Losi 8ight T, Associated RC8T, and Mugen MBX6T along with a few others are thoroughbred racers through and through. They were designed and built specifically for racing and are proven winners.

Is the RTR Losi 8ight T worth 800 bucks? well yes if you plan on bashing/club racing it is. Like Zdragon said the radio gear and the starter box alone are probably around the $300 dollar mark. That being said if your gonna be strictly a basher than you will probably want something that isnt bump started and if your racing you'll want a kit because the kits come with some upgraded parts. Of course you dont get a radio, bump starter, or engine with the kit so in the long run a kit would probably cost a little bit more than the RTR but if your racing then it will be money well spent.

But you said you werent gonna race and just bash so I'll just say this....If I were buying one I would shoot for the best one I could afford which for me ended up being a Losi 8ight...I really wanted a mugen but I just happened to catch a sale that nitrohouse was having and got a better deal on the eight than I could get on a Mugen. If those are out of your price range I would get whatever i could afford on my budget that is a hobbygrade brand name like all the kits listed above. As for the Kyoshos, IDK about that particular engine but Kyosho is generally known to be a good brand that builds both basher and racer level kits. So IDK if maybe that model has a somewhat crappy engine or if maybe they didnt break-in/tune their engines right or what. If you get a Kyosho maybe just get a different model than they did.

Last edited:
Well who knows, suddenly I'll might stand there at the startline in a competition :)

However, even if it's only for bashing I like to have a car that impresses a little. And to buy a car that at least on paper will beat their cars is attractive :)

As a summery of this: All the cars listed would probobly fill my needs of a good, fast and durable RTR nitro truggy, If it is for bashing only. But I will get more for the money if I buy Losi 8ight becouse it's the car closest to a race car in how it is built. So the $200 differens is not so much if we look at it like that.

BTW... Both my friends got contacted by the local shop today and will have new engines for free. They say the problem with the KE25 engine is known and they have done some small adjustments in the construction. I was there during the whole break in procedure and can confirm that it was done by the book.

I had a 8ight T&B and both were a little too much for me for bashing. Its an awesome rig and extremely powerful. My prob was I couldnt control the power out of the corners and would constantly wheelie and crash coming out. In hindsight I wish I never traded them away as I would really get a kick out of them now that I have a better understanding of the hobby and how to drive. IMO its too much for a noob but great for someone with some decent experience in the hobby

What you describe is like the way i want it. It should be crazy to drive and hard to control with tons of power. That makes the kick! I had e nitro car 15yrs ago so I will probobly come in to it fast.

But in this case i doubt that the power in Losi 8ight is so much greater than in the other ones. Or..? The engines seem to be quite similar?

The trophy truggy is a great basher. I have not busted a single part since I purchased the truck this spring.

Well as far as the trophy 3.5 buggy i just got. I've been thru 5 tanks and love it so far. Already I'm having to stick a better steering servo on it but that was expected. It has tons of power for a .21 and lacks a bit top end but its as fast as i figured it would be. My next purchase as i stated will be the 8T as a kit and it will be my racer. I bought the HPI buggy clearly for the reason of bashing the hell out of it and i think its gonna more than serve its purpose at that. Maybe i will drop a .28 on it after i get the goody out of this one.

Honestly for a budget.. even i have considered getting the redcat monsoon. The down fall to redcat is aftermarket support is limited and there is alot of questioning on their quality .. how ever i think they did a great job on this truggy.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redcat-Mons...ltDomain_0&hash=item4aba5cc1cf#ht_4700wt_1095

But if your looking for name brand on a budget HPI like some others have said makes a great truggy thats a good basher and thrashes well http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Racing-...l_Vehicles&hash=item43b318861d#ht_3434wt_1095

most of the other companys losi, mugan, hotbodies,ofna etc.. are mostly race oriented truggies that are over all well balanced and powerful rc's how ever I'm not so sure about their toughness if you want to jump it off a huge jump I'm not sure how it would take it. the race truggies arent really designed for doing big jumps. I have seen some of the race truggies do some impressive jumps but didnt break mainly because the driver was able to land it perfectly flat on the ground.

If your think you might race it one day and you want something thats impressive I'd go for 1 of the 3 kits I mentioned in my earlier post, the Losi 8ight T, Associated RC8T, or Mugen MBX6T. Just remember racing kits make great bashers but great bashers dont make racing kits. So if theres a chance you might race then Id just spend the money up front for a racer and if you never race it then you still have a very impressive basher :)

At the moment a just want an RTR for bashing, what happens in the future i dont now. If I would like to start racing I will buy a KIT car and build it for that purpose. But what I understand the Losi are easy to equip to a racecar from the RTR version?

In this case we are not speaking about alot of extra money to take a step up and go for the Losi so I really considering that option.

But otherwise I se that you guys think HPI Trophy 4.6 is the best option.

If we only speak about top speed. Any idea which of who will take it?

Go to youtube and search separately. Troohy truggy 4.6 speed runs and Losi 8ight-T 2.0 speed runs.

That's true but on youtube you never know if the cars are stock or upgraded.

Decided to go for the HPI Truggy 4.6. I start with that and se where it goes :)

Thanks for all answers.

True about youtube. I just stuck the garmin on my trophy 3.5 buggy yesterday and got top speed reading of 35. So looks like I'm gonna be gearing it this weekend to get at least 40 out of it. It gets up to top speed within 30ft though. Damn things quick as hell.

Decided to go for the HPI Truggy 4.6. I start with that and se where it goes :)

Thanks for all answers.

Congrats! I think you are going to like it. It has proven to be a great basher for me.

HEY !! post on here when you get it and show us !!! I'm excited to see it. That truggy is a great kit you wont be disappointed. HPI quality along with their tough parts and available upgrades. Your gonna be bashing and smiling because you wont be breaking parts as often as the race truggies.

Back