the 2 speed is in....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gettinintoit

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
and is awesome. It added atleast 10 mph to my sportmaxx if not more. Whats next?, and dont say 4 wheel drive...its overrated

If you are bashing 4 wheel drive is far from overrated. I can't remember but if the Sportmaxx has reverse get rid of it and get a FOC kit.

FOC kit?
what do you mean

I'm not for bashing...just racing buggies at the local track...so i dont need it all that much

FOC = Forward Only Conversion. It removes the internal clutch assembly. Makes the Maxx soo much faster off the line.

FOC = Forward Only Conversion

It removes reverse from the tranny. Lightens the load and helps the tranny work more smoothly. No more jittery starts. This is a good thing to do if you are only into racing.

yeah it doesn't have reverse...I beat a T-maxx all over the track this weekend. Just got the holeshot and he never caught up

nice man
but the next thing you should buy is some soft compound tires. you sportmaxx will be very fast. the stock tires will be far exeeded by the preformance of the soft compounds.
Good job on beating the maxx, keep it up. i want a beter name 4 the sportmaxx.
also the sportmaxx already has the forward only shaft, so dont worry about the jittery starts, you are preforming already. also you might want to look into the robinson racing slipper clutch kit for it, or your clutch pegs will wear out really fast.

Originally posted by mcvickj
If you are bashing 4 wheel drive is far from overrated. FOC kit.

I totally agree with that and I think most would. They call it "FOUR-Wheeling" for a reason...lol. If your just going to be racing your Maxx then yeah your not going to need a 4x4 but I couldn't imagine NOT having that capability on an MT...it's not a stadium truck (LOL).

I would definitley look into an FOC like the others pointed out as you'll get faster clutch engagement and no more of that annoying clicking noise. An FOC is FOCking nice if you DON'T use reverse allot. Willthethrill makes a good point about your stock clutch pegs. From all accounts the RRP double disc slipper is kick ass and offers you ALLOT more spur gearing options. If your gonna stick with the stock slipper for now, I would seriously reco trying all 12 slipper pegs in the spur. They aren't cheap ($4.50 for twelve) but the material they're made out of is "space age" and it's not cheap to produce.

Their's a plehtora of things you could do if ya wanna make it a track racing truck. Lowering your center of gravity in general would be the obvious progression.

If you are racing the truck, ditch the stock shock setup and go with 4, 1/8 buggy shocks instead of the stock 8. It'll save you weight and you'll handle better.
Also like said above get better tires. To go along with those tires get lightweight rims. The stock rim/tire combo is somewhat heavy. A lightweight wheel and tire will make your truck quicker and also handle better.

Last edited:
Had no idea the FOC did that much. After I get some more bahi under my belt I am going to see if I can live without reverse. (grumbles) something about being too lazy to go get the maxx if it's stuck lol

I thought I couldn't live without reverse until I took a look at how little i actually use it. Sure it is convenient for those one or two instances that you really need it, but exercise is also a good thing...so take the quick jog over to save your stuck truck...then make sure not to repeat the mistake so you can maintain the couch potato status on the driver's stand. :D

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
I thought I couldn't live without reverse until I took a look at how little i actually use it. Sure it is convenient for those one or two instances that you really need it, but exercise is also a good thing...so take the quick jog over to save your stuck truck...then make sure not to repeat the mistake so you can maintain the couch potato status on the driver's stand. :D

Yeah people walk and live a little longer!!

As for me THe TMAXX I have is my wifes' but I think that the reverse is cool since we have our kid running around so leaving him is too much for me since he is only three and his RC10 GT driving skills needs to be supervised. But if I were to race I would consider the FOC. I don't know if it really goes 40 miles an hour as I would rather have real measurements like from a Venom Speedmeter. Granted the tmaxx is hella fast out of the box but I think it is all about the experience level. The 2 speed really is bitchen .Having a TMAXX is nice since it is a nice starter kit for a novice like my wife.

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
I have to agree with Sky here. Between the exercise from getting stuck and especially to flip my stuff back over I get a ton of exercise.

thanks guys for the imput...I have a mutant cooling head, ofna temp gauge...so next is going to be a tuned pipe, big bores, and then the new slipper clutch. What do you guys think?

input...sorry I'm a little hungover

I run a XTM 21 conversion with an OS 21 RG engine. I have the 4 9.5 buggy shock setup installed on mine. Hopefully 4 is enough. I didn't have the $ to buy 8 at the time. Still don't for that matter. But I havn't done any serious jumping with it yet, so I don't know how it's going to hold up. For futzing around a parking lot, the handling was a lot better and smoother.

Olds, they'll be more than ok if you use stiffer springs on them.

I'm running the black on the rear and the navy blue on the front that came with them. I think I'm also running either 55 or 60 weight oil in them. Unlimited Engineering are the makers of the kit I think. I bought them from http://www.hobbyshopnj.com/tmaxxtoys.html

Thanks for the info. They seem ok, but we will see how they perform with 10-15 feet of air under them.

Back