Thanks Tony! you Jerk!!!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmechG550

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Leave it to Tony George, the goof that destroyed open wheel racing to screw yet another one up. Because of his over-inflated ego Formula 1 will not return to Indianapolis nor is there talk yet of a replacement track for a USGP, not that there's many track capable of hosting Formula 1. I'm so pissed right now I could spit nails!

Wow... that really sux. What's the reason? What characteristics do you think they look for in picking a track for an F1 race. I mean, there are a lot of racetracks in the states. I can't imagine none of them being up to par. What about that new track down south.. Barber Motorsports Park or something like that. I think I heard that place is supposed to be top notch.. and it's only a handfull of years old isn't it?

Wow... that really sux. What's the reason? What characteristics do you think they look for in picking a track for an F1 race. I mean, there are a lot of racetracks in the states. I can't imagine none of them being up to par. What about that new track down south.. Barber Motorsports Park or something like that. I think I heard that place is supposed to be top notch.. and it's only a handfull of years old isn't it?

I wouldn't blame Tony George completely give Bernie Ecclestone a lot too -

Characteristics Bernie looks for in a venue are :-

Money.
Potential Market. (India and Russia for example are 2 more additions to calender)
Money.
Money.
More Money,

then

Track suitability. The new circuits are all clean and shiny and Disney like with massive pitlanes, garages, car parks etc but completely lacking soul and character.

The old circuits like Silverstone, Spa, Monza, Imola, Indianapolis etc etc don't stand up to being sanitised like a brand new facility can but have history and soul - unfortunately sanitised pays the bills - History doesn't.

Finally the most important aspect of any circuit is how much they are willing to pay Bernie.

Sadly Indianapolis has alway been a bit of a compromise, the infield section is more of a Go-Cart track and the levels of downforce used to get round it quickly have made the banked turn a flatout no lift irrelevance (at least when the tyre companys don't f#ck it up anyway) - theres more time to be had in the fiddly infield rather than an extra 15mph down one straight. - So I'm not sorry to see Indy go off but would love to see somewhere like Laguna Seca or Road America get a GP.

I think Ryan has a point. I think Bernie's being a tool, too. If I heard correctly, Magny Cours is out, too. And I understand Silverstone is in jeopardy, too. He's on some tirade about all the tracks.
But at the same time, I think Tony George is a douche and probably added to the fuel. Since he destroyed CART (and essentially ruined open-wheeled racing in America) I have no respect for him. It's only a true megalomaniac that can turn the Indy 500 from one of the greatest spectacles in racing to just another IRL points race...

Oh I agree, Bernie is quite a little weasel too but given that Tony is who Tony is...well he's got a pretty good history of fouling things up. Magny Cours and Silverstone have been on the hit list for a while, especially Silverstone. There's really only a couple of tracks in the US that can support F1. The garage area is a big thing they look at, as well as seating and ability to bring spectators in. Also logistics of getting things to the track. IND has a FedEx Hub, actually it's their international hub, but anyway, they were able to support the "cargo" aspect of it.