Tenbol BB motor mount review

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laton7

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This follows on from my thread about upgrading my MERV but i thought it deserved its own thread :D
So I received my Tenbol motor mount yesterday and a few hours ago i managed to get it all fitted to the car and up and running but only with my brushed motor as my brush-less ESC is at the menders :'(
Pro`s:
1) great straight line speed and acceleration.
2) it looks pretty cool with the body off.
3) it means I can use all the random 540 junk I have lying around like stock Tamiya ESC and tuned motor which both otherwise are pretty rubbish on my 1/10 cars.
4) the wheelies it can pull even with a brushed motor are lushhhh!

Con`s:
1) it makes the truck way to top heavy so I keep managing to roll it even when going insanely slow with the shocks as low as possible.
3)it makes the truck heavier so its lower on the shocks than it should be so scraped the floow even driving off a curb.
3) it absolutely eats the batteries I have because of the bigger motor, more weight and still only the same size battery compartment for teeeeennnyyyy batteries which where designed for a 380 motor not 540.
4) there is very little space for any electric wiring so I find that I have burned through a motor wire insulation
5) with the motor and esc being so squeezed together the cooling is very minimal so I overheated my motor and ESC until i smelt it from a few metres. So I find I need to run it with the body off which creates a problem when it roles breaking fins on my heat sink :angry:

All in all I think Traxxas have done an amazing job with this car and this motor mount is good fun but ultimately for off road and any cornering, besides adjusting the course of a basically straight line, there is no hope it will stay on all four wheels.

I will be doing lots of tests when I get my brush-less ESC back:
1) heat difference between 380 and 540 brush-less
2) speed difference
3) acceleration
4) just plain awesome-ness of this awesome car :D

If you'v managed to get to the end then thank you and well done :D also sorry for any spelling or grammatical miss haps along the way but please accept my apologies.
Please feel free to put in you comments and views

Laton, thanks a ton for taking the time and spending the cash to do the review of the 540 mount. I'll be following along for further testing for sure.

One thing to note, my MERV came with very soft damping out of the box, and would roll very easy even when stock. I switched to some 50wt (probably going up to 60wt) oil and added more pre-load and it helped a bunch. The MERV is tough to beat for all out fun factor.

:D all for the RC cause!
I bought this rig with upgraded blue alu shocks with black springs (no idea what rating this springs are though :S) i have been trying out 50wt oil so let me know how you find the 60wt goes and I will see about 60 or 70wt.
This truck is an absolute tank! I was racing a car down my street going full tilt and flipped it into my mums parked car (full size :p). The body didn't even fall off