Team Associated RC10 Graphite, Project car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metallicats33

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
1989 Team Associated RC10 Graphite, Project car

Well my buddy's dad pulled this out of his garrage for me yesterday:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I've been looking for an old RC10 for some time now and now and he was nice enough to give this to me. I'm planning on getting it into running shape. I've done some research on the net and it appears to be a 1989-1990 RC10 Graphite. Does anyone know a good place to get parts for it?

Now what's up with the Purple plastic? I know the Repro parts are black and the originals are white but what about Purple? Any advice on this project will be greatly accepted.

Last edited:
I have a few old purple pieces like that too in a box of parts I got from a former racer ;-) Some OOOOLLLD cars in there too...or pieces of cars I should say.

Those purple parts look dyed. I'd check ebay for parts. Those where popular cars, so finding parts shouldn't be too much trouble. If tranny/drivetrain parts are hard to find, I'd stay on the cheap side and maybe run a xl5 esc and a good 15-17t motor. If you can find plenty of parts, go brushless, find the closest track and throw down some vintage brutality!

I have a few old purple pieces like that too in a box of parts I got from a former racer ;-) Some OOOOLLLD cars in there too...or pieces of cars I should say.

So the purple parts might be an "original" replacement? If they are I'll probably run the repros at the track... I know RPM make or made parts for it because the steering link says RPM on it... I think I'll check them out too

maybe run a xl5 esc and a good 15-17t motor.

That's what I was planning on. I have an XL5 that I took out of my slash. Would the Titan 12-turn be too much for the RC10?

Also I'm trying to figure out how old this car might be. I know it came out in 89' but when did Associated stop manufacturing it?

Last edited:
Purple parts *could* be OEM on it since I have some the EXACT same color....and I doubt 2 dye jobs would come out the same.

if you ask me the gig with the purple parts is that they are RPM plastics and they make a dyeable whit which back then a lot of people bought them a dyed them any color they wanted them well at least what ever color RIT(the type of color dye) made

upon further inspection I think the plastics are OEM but dyed. I found RPM has steering and a-arm parts and tower has a good, but small sellection of parts also. My LHS has some old RC10 parts still. I managed to pick up a RPM Gear cover that had a date of 1-11-90 on the price tag. I also got a Transmission brace from a company I havent heard of before, the Price tag also had a 1990 date on it. He said he has a lot more in the back because he never gets rid of anything. I'm going to go back today and see what I can come home with. The only partsI havent been able to find are the Carriers and the transmission housing....

Glad to you found parts for it. Hopefully you find the last parts you will need to get it running.

I got lucky,almost everything was there when I got it. All I need now is: 8 screws, Body mount kit, motor brushes and a ESC. The Trans case has a smal crack on the bottom but nothing to worry about too much. After I get the above listed All I need to do is Solder the motor wires, install the Reciever and esc and Re-assemble the car, I have torn it apart for cleaning and maintinence. After all that the car *should* run.... maybe...

Are there two styles of transmissions for the rc10 graphite? I can't seam to find one that looks like mine... even the manual shows one that looks different. From what I can see the only differance is the mounting screw placement on the bottom of the housing.

EDIT: Well I did some searching and It appears to be a stealth trans.

Last edited:
Project Update

Just a little update on the Graphite Project. I dyed all the suspension parts black and the rest was Supposed to be yellow but I used to much dye and ended up with orange. every bearing has been inspected. I think I might need new bearings for the stealth tranny because it does not spin as well as my buddy's. The shocks have been re-built but the springs were not replaced... I will need new ones. All chassis screws were replaced. A battery cup has been purchased but not installed. a new JG no flex tranny brace has been installed. I got impatient and installed the VXL system from my SLash:

picture.php

picture.php

This VXL install is just temporary so please excuse the sloppy wiring. This thing moves!! It had a 72Tspur and a 25TPinion when I got it and man it's fast! Blew the 10 year old tire glue right off:D Tire rolled almost to the next street.

I have purchased a 87T spur and a 17T Pinion along with Losi Tires for the rear. I Came up on an old Novak 410 ESC, don't know if it works though. I plan on installing a modified 15 or 12 turn motor with a good 6 cell or 2s lipo, The vxl system and 7-cell batt is just too heavy. I can't get a good level jump at all.

I just got my wing and body in the mail today and will be painting them next week. I'm going black and white with orange and yellow stripes (80's baby!) I'm also going to go over the orange dye job, I might try yellow again or go all black. Next pic should be with the new body/wing and all cleaned up!

Attachments

• LOSI.jpg
    LOSI.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Update#2

well I melted the diff a few days ago so I ordered all new gears for the stealth tranny, they should be here Friday. I got a rear motor guard and a xl5 ESC. I still need to re-dye all the orange parts and I did a real quick paint job so I had a body for the track this Sunday, but here is the pic:

picture.php

The next body will be much nicer. So that's where I'm at. All I need to do now is re-dye all the orange parts to black and rebuild the tranny and I should be good to go. Not bad for my first paint job though...

well here is the final product for now. Protech body, XL5 ESC, Titan 12-turn motor and Traxxas RX & TX. I took it to the track today and had so much fun with it, I neglected my Nitro buggy:hehe: This thing is awesome I can't wait till I get a little more punch behind it, maybe a castle sidewinder or max...

picture.php

Back