Team Associated MGT 8.0 Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Fanatic 2016

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I recently have bought some parts for my motor from team associated and I put and washer between my piston sleeve and cooling head and I've noticed quiet an increase in compression when I turn the fly wheel. It previously had a big air leak. So I went through and put new o rings, starting shaft, and a (cooper looking)washer between the piston sleeve and cooling head. Is there a such thing as too much pressure on the compression stroke.? Am I safe to try and start it? Any help is greatly appreciated! P.s I do know

I recently have bought some parts for my motor from team associated and I put and washer between my piston sleeve and cooling head and I've noticed quiet an increase in compression when I turn the fly wheel. It previously had a big air leak. So I went through and put new o rings, starting shaft, and a (cooper looking)washer between the piston sleeve and cooling head. Is there a such thing as too much pressure on the compression stroke.? Am I safe to try and start it? Any help is greatly appreciated! P.s I do know

Weird ,usually you add pressure when you take out a shim or what your calling a washer ,not when adding.
But it is a 8.0 an they have a lot of compression especialy if it is fairly new!

Hang around,someone else may chime in an give you better insight!

Weird ,usually you add pressure when you take out a shim or what your calling a washer ,not when adding.
But it is a 8.0 an they have a lot of compression especialy if it is fairly new!

Hang around,someone else may chime in an give you better insight!

Yeah before when it didn't have the shime the compression wasn't as good as it is now. But thanks for your input. I appreciate it

Yeah before when it didn't have the shime the compression wasn't as good as it is now. But thanks for your input. I appreciate it
Adding a shim wouldn't increase compression, so you must of had an air leak that you fixed with a new starting shaft and o-ring. Adding compression will decrease life of the engine, as increasing compression puts extra strain on bearings, con rod and pretty much everything else. I personally would remove the shim to turn compression back to stock and see how it performs.

My advice to you would be to find another engine!
Theres a lot of conflicting problems with that engine ,an I've had 2 of them that grenade back to back.
Not only that ,they are fuel hogs!
Half the people swear by them & the other despise them.

They are big ,an have way too much compression ,con rod is the same size for an engine that's
half its size, which in my opinion makes it weak.
The tune is tricky on them,They are torq monsters an don't fair well for top end power.
You will be better off with a 28 size engine an have a better enjoyment out of your truck!

Thanks guys I've definitely seen that its a gas hog. I finally got it started and tuned. They sure are torque monsters.

Back