TC5 Drift Question(s)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phins Fan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I pulled off a trade with another member and will be getting a TC that I would like to use as a drift car to beat my sons HPI. My ? is I believe the TC is setup stock as a touring car. What kind of mods need to be done to make it a drifter or could I drift as is? There are no electronics so I can put anything in. I know that obviously tires would have to be changed but what else if anything? I planned on running a brushed setup to start as I've never drifted and dont want to blow $200 on a brushless setup to find out I may not like it. And I figure it will be cheaper to replace as I will probably be in the wall quite a bit in the beginning.

you probaly want stiffer shocks so it doesn't lean when you are sideways. do you know how to drift?

Last edited:
ABS drift specific tires, or PVC tires like a lot make themselves. A spool in the back and one way diff in the front. Suspension is a very personal thing based on how you want the car to feel. If the car wants to push and not rotate, stiffen the rear and soften the front, if the car wants to spin out, do the reverse and fine tune from there. Some rear toe in will keep the car more stable in straightaways, and some negative camber in the front will help keep the front tires planted mid corner. I would actually think you'd set the suspension up softer, as the speeds will be much lower, and the most important thing is keeping all four tires in contact with the pavement.

Good stuff HPI! I have been reading quite a bit and they all say the same - stiffer front springs with a heavier oil. Right now I'm stiff in front and soft in the rear and I spin out quite a bit. I'll try swapping them out and see what happens. It may be the setup or the fact that I dont know how to drift yet.

Drifting is tough for sure. Take it slow, and really work on throttle management, even tiny bits of throttle on a car this size when sliding will cause you to spin out. As speeds increase, the fine line between a pretty, perfectly balanced drift, or a spin becomes very small. I think well done, smooth RC drifting is really fun to watch, as I know it's a practiced skill and hard to do. It's the same reason I like watching D1, it's like motorized art to me. :D

Some of the youtube vids I've seen are just incredible. I dont picture myself bieng anywhere close to them but if I could hold my own at the track in a few months than my mission was accomplished. The control aspect is difficult and I will need to get a couple sets of tires as the 1's I have are 3 different kinds.

i learned to drift around a 90 degree corner in my basement on carpet on this winter.TIP: go into the corner wide and turn hard, Never let off the throttle in the drift, about 3/4 or if the car is about to spin out, around the turn counter steer(turn the other way) until it has straightened out the car and then prepare for the next turn.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=how+...29,r:0,s:0,i:74&tx=111&ty=51&biw=1366&bih=667

Went to the track tonight and its amazing how suptle changes make a world of differences. The tires I had were mismatched (Fronts were treaded and backs were slicks) I would hit the gas and instant spinout. Put a new set of tires on her (all slick) and I was all of a sudden lookin like a seasoned pro (Of sorts!!:)). It is a blast and I like how you dont have 20 other people running into you like offroad. Was relaxing and addicting all at the same time.

Back