Taping tires/wheels??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwdave

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
In another thread about tires it was suggested I don't buy premounted and tape my foam or tires to keep ballooning down. How exactly is this done, outside or inside foam? What type of tape is best? Does it really y make a difference for bashing? Thanks

A lot of people will say that you should tape your tires using either packing tape or duct tape on the inside of the tire' tread area. I don't follow this practice because the tape has a tendency to gather and ball causing the tire to become unbalanced.

I've done 3 sets (2 of them were for a MGT/Tmaxx and 1 for a T4). The MGT/Maxx tires were fine and held up great. The T4, because of the excessive wheelspeed, did become unbalanced after a while and made it difficult to drive. I did 2 full wraps on the inside of the tire using duct tape on all 3 sets

Duct Tape has a tendency to come loose after a while, if you prep the tire with DA and use Gorilla tape it stays put very well. I tape both the foams, and the tires in any 1/8 scale buggy tire/wheel size and up.

I only tape my foams. The outside of the foam with the glue towards the wheel. I use duct tape. Doesn't mitigate ballooning entirely, but definitely tames it down and lasts a really long time. I even did it in my 5b to keep the foams from grenading on me. I didn't bother doing it with my buggy tires, even for the buggy tires on my jato. They seem to hold up ok on their own.

Back