Talk me into getting an X

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurt_02f150

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am coming from the dark side. (cash pit tmaxx)

I am looking for an out the box GREAT basher with a solid platform to build on. This is where i ended up. Convince me that this is the way to go.

I own a 100% box stock (not for long) Savage X for a few months now. This thing is solid. I have not broken a single part (besides a stripped spur).

With all the changes from the old savage this one is nearly perfect. The only things I would change as soon as I got the truck, would be get a better steering servo (HS-645MG) and move the stock throttle servo to the throttle/brake position. Other than that this thing is rocks solid and is a great performer. It has the power to wheelie (if you want) and is VERY capable off road.

If you can, I would wait for the new Savage XSS which will be coming out soon and has the K4.6 .28 engine. This costs the same as the RTR but does not come with radio gear.

You will love a Savage X, I am sure of it!

i may just wait for that then. I have the 645MG on my maxx right now and i want to use my futuba radio setup. Ant estimate on when it will be released?

Tower hobbies say's mid august.I'm looking into a ssx too.

If you are looking for the out of the box basher than the RTR would be your best option. THe Savage XSS would be in kit form. I personally would get the kit form but that is me. I am sure being HPI they will get a RTR version of the X SS

I have my X and I love it. I've changed a few things out on it though.

I've installed/changed:

HS-5645MG steering servo
Futaba 3004 Throttle servo
MX-3 Radio setup
HPI hub hex conversion
Dual disc brake mod
Aluminum tie-bars (they attach the skid plates to the tvps)

The hub hex conversion is something I'd highly recommend for that truck. I stripped my stock wheel nuts very quickly after getting the truck. Also the tie bars, because they replace a weak point on the truck. They'll probably include the aluminum tie bars on the XSS, along with the dual disc brakes.

Other than what I've replaced, the truck is pretty much stock. The engine runs like a bat out of hell, and the 17mm hexes are almost impossible to strip out.

Also, the diffs are much easier to get to.

This is the best basher I've ever had.

awesome. savage x or xss it is then.

now to just sell all these tmaxx parts.........................

things have changed a little. I am buying jon2's old savage because its a great deal and already has some hop ups on it. I can't wait to have a reliable basher!!!

it should be here sometime next week. I've already got the bench setup so i can just throw in my electrinics and get after it. They have some nice dirt hills behind where i work so its gonna be freaking great.

This is a pretty useless post but i am stoked that it might be here next week!!

Back