Talk about ur Local Hobby shop experiences!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy100

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
You know what, hobby shops are the only thing that i dont like about our little hobby. The people are either cocky because they are a pro or something or they dont know jack, or they dont like you because u didnt buy something from them. I got the xtm 247 pro and i went to another hobby shop, and the guy said that it is one of the slowest crapiest motors u could buy. And then the other day my dad went to hobbypeople and asked them for a replacement e-z- start for revo. They asked him if he had the part # and my dad said no. My dad told them to look at the part # book, and they said they didnt have one, but if my we wanted to give them one then they would use it. Yes, i am definatley bagging on hobbypeople. They have treated us so badly, and the people who work there dont know jack. I dont care if they have good prices, i will pay the extra money and get better service somewhere else.

What are ur stories????????????????????

Yeah... My hobby shop closed about a year ago... The people were cocky and didnt care about business, at least, not while i was around. When i asked about getting a job there, they just laughed in my face and told me i was too young, not even bothering to ask my age. The only nice person was the manager, but she was never there!!! As i said, they closed about a year or so ago... A new shop has opened up in town and i applied for a job and they said they would definitly hold on to the app. They are nice people, but if they hire people who dont know poop about the hobby, they will go out of business.

I go to SoutheastRC Hobbies....great shop...great prices.....great service.....the manager there has personally helped me fix issues I've had...as long as you don't ask just out right stupid questions or stupid requests they're good people...and I have seen some real prize winning questions asked there guys....one guy wanted a written in stone price for how much it would cost to put some ridiculous .21 in a HPI RS4...they said it wasn't worth doing...they could build him a better car for themoney he wants t o spend.....he kept asking and pushing they said probably close to 1000 to basically say the job is just not worth it.....and he gets pissed off and storms out of the store.....or the guy who buys a new nitro road car and made a huge stink about 20 / gal for nitro fuel....said he could get fuel cheaper....2 hrs later he wants to know why his car don't start....he pulls out a freakin gas can and pours gas in the tank of the car...and just flips out when it don't start.......so beleive me when I say some of the crap the hobby shop guys deal w/ is just retarded....I have very good experience when I go to my LHS but I'm one of the lucky ones.....

Ahhh hobbypeople, should be hobbypricks or hobbysnobs. I've been to several hobbypeople stores when I've been out in CA for work and was not the least bit impressed. Was in one in Vegas too and it was a big cup of suck too. My LHS is a Hobbytown, it's not too much better but there's one or two guys there that are pretty decent. I use eBay and Tower alot. There are a few good shops in the SoCal area, Ultimate comes to mind as does SoCal Raceway. I've had thoughts of opening my own shop/track but my job just doesn't cut me a whole lot of time to put towards doing so.

my LHS blows also they dont carry parts for my trucks that i own... and what parts they do have that i get there are overpriced alot. and when i call to see if they have a part in they say no but when i go there its sitting right on the shelf!!!.... the one hobby shop that i liked alot when i was living in FLORIDA was HOBBY WAREHOUSE in FT.MYERS they had great prices and the owner was kool with everyone...

I think that everyone needs to remember that you would only be 100% perfectly happy if they ran the shop according to exactly what you wanted!!!!!

But on another note.... my LHS seems to only stock the crap that they sell over and over again.. and tend to want to "order" something if you need it. Everytime I ask for something, they say, we are out, can I order it. And I don't mean anything weird, I am talking simple.. like xxxnt a-arms, or the last thing I needed was a tmaxx fuel tank... and forget about the mgt, they decided not to carry it anymore.

This would be OK if I didn't live an hour away from the shop.

Fortunatly, my old hobby shop did carry the parts i needed at the time (for my GT). They had like everything in stock. For the maxx, about the same, but i used Tower and ebay more than anything because they were just to cocky for me to deal with. Makes you not even want to go in there..

My local hobby shops are not so local. They are both about an hour away. Both have almost any parts for the Maxx but one has idiots that don't have a clue and the other has assholes. So in the hour it takes me to get there I need to decide if I want stupid or smart ass help LOL. That’s why I buy most of my crap from tower or eBay.

My "local" shop really sucks ass, the guy has been there forever, dosn't care if you buy from him or not, is getting ready to retire which makes the care factor even less, and he only cares about the model trains it seems, BUT one of the tracks/hobbyshops I race at isn't very local to me but it has helped me out in every way they can. 99% satifaction..good example--I ordered a $2 part and he is mailing it up to me, he said just pay me when you come down for the next big race(granted it's only a couple of weeks away) but what a great place to do buisness.. They are not there to make a killing of people just help promote the sport and the racers...I can't say enough about them..they run an indoor track and we can run year around--even through the northern blizzards there is nice warm dry racing..rumor has it we are getting a huge hobby store in Duluth,MN but so far all it is so far is a rumor ?
The awsome place I talk about is Twin City Hobby & Raceway in the Brooklyn Park,MN (Minneapolis-St.Paul area) www.twincityhobby.com
The only downfall is I am 160 + miles away...but I get there as much as I can. There is another hobby shop that has been pretty good to me and have a GREAT selection of new and used cars and a ton of part's called R/C Car Kings in Burnsville,MN (another suburb of the Twin Cities) and they do a pretty good buisness..also they do mail order by phone, if someone is interested I can post there phone # if it doesn't break any rules?

Oh and I forgot to mention we have a pretty well established race club here( www.lsrcc.com ) and the "local hobby shop has nothing to do with it--what a joke

jetmechG550 said:
Ahhh hobbypeople, should be hobbypricks or hobbysnobs. I've been to several hobbypeople stores when I've been out in CA for work and was not the least bit impressed. Was in one in Vegas too and it was a big cup of suck too. My LHS is a Hobbytown, it's not too much better but there's one or two guys there that are pretty decent. I use eBay and Tower alot. There are a few good shops in the SoCal area, Ultimate comes to mind as does SoCal Raceway. I've had thoughts of opening my own shop/track but my job just doesn't cut me a whole lot of time to put towards doing so.
Been to SOcalRaceway. Awesome support there. THe Fountain valley Hobbypeople shop there sucks as with the one near me.ALl cocky , leave you waitng for 10 min while they BS in front of you ttill they even say hold on.

I drive the extra 15 min to go to another one I support. Great people there.

Ultimate hobbies was always good to me.

It's really disconcerting to hear all this feedback about the shops. I give mine a B. They're pretty good guys. They are the only LHS in Syracuse so there's no competition. But they are limited. Their big push with cars is dirt oval. So they run a lot of modified T4s and XXX-Ts. Plus they're starting to run Custom Works. They support the Maxx pretty well. But that's about it. Sav parts? No. Mayhem? No. RS4? No. So they pretty much stock what they use. So it's tough. Good guys, but aside from paint, bodies and magazines, nothing I need. For the past couple years I've been thinking about opening a home-based on to cater to bashers. More MT and buggy stuff. maybe some day.

I have all three LHS phone numbers memorized and usually just go through the drill of calling the closest one for parts. If no one has the parts I go online or if the part is ridiculously overpriced. Strangely enough, the HobbyTown (the big boy franchise that many people bash on) that is close to me has outstanding service and usually goes the extra mile to get a part. They even greet me by my first name when I walk in through the door.

I rarely ask questions at the LHS though, I get ALL my info from RCNT.

My LHS Rocks!!

Small Town, Small Shop....No Egos...Huge inventory! Without a doubt I could save money buying online but, will tower hobby do this.

They are closed on Sunday....we had two facitilies racing on Sunday(he was going on-road racing...I was going off-road)....I can't find the charger for my glow ignitor....I call thinking he may be there packing his stuff for the track...He is there....I ask; "are you gonna be there for 10-15 minutes? I'll run right over"....He answers: "Nope walking out the door right now, but I'll leave a spare charger in the mailbox"....I said; "leave a new charger and ignitor in the mailbox"...he says: "Will do, stop by sometime next week and pay me"

This is what a LHS is all about!!

COOL DUDE!!!

Mr T

Ultimate comes to mind as does SoCal Raceway

For real friendly service and pricing matched to any other price in CA, try Rob's R/C hobbies in Garden Grove. For Hobbypeople, use internet for most purchases but if you have to go into a store try the Orange store and look for Sean. Rob's is still my favorite for service, though. Husband and wife own it and they have a pretty good stock of parts. They order stuff for me all the time, for example, the new Venom Fail Safe, the one with the built in engine temp guard, they got it in one day, and this product was just released!

Nitrohouse is also good, but they mostly specialize in TT and OFNA.

My lhs is a hobbytown Usa, it ok they usally have a lot of parts in stock but most of the employees need a part # or they can't help you. I usally just go find what I need. There are a bunch of younger guys that work in the rc department and I dont think to many of them even have an Rc lol. For the most parts is a cool place, most of the people who work there are pretty nice and do what they can to help you.

Well I got 2 shops "locally".....one is mostly planes, his car/truck inventory has gotten a tad bit bigger in the past few years but still nothing to brag about. Other is mainly cars/trucks but the guy running it hasnt a clue about R/Cs.......lol......so I usually drive the hour to another shop that has a full service staff. If you need answers for a helicopter, theres a guy for that.....cars? got another guy for that.......planes? yet another guy for that......most supplies come from Tower though......

my lhs will be upset if u bring trucks or any rc that u didnt buy from them...they look at u like they wanna skin u alive hehehe..and theyre like " oh u bought a new one?"..
then my other hs everytime i go there to get parts he always say "oh i sold the last one yesterday"..5 different freagin parts were sold day before i came hehehe

I have two local hobby shops. One is a Hobbytown (gilbert, az), which I hate going to, especially because they primarily stock brands I don't care for, but also because the prices are ridiculous, and they don't know much about 1/8th nitro buggies.

My second "local" hobby store is Nitro House out of California. The prices are dirt cheap, they can ship to AZ in two days, and they know their stuff. I always get the right part, even without knowing the part number. If there is a part I can wait two days for, I go to them.

The only things I buy locally now is fuel and glow plugs, but I am thinking about starting to mail order those too, just to get away from Hobbytown.

I really like my local shop. They stock traxxas. hpi, losi, some MIP stuff and some ofna. The main car guy races 1/8 scale and monster truck and he isn't a ass so ;/ Local track also just opened its own shop but dosen't have much in stock.

Back