TA Nitro TC3 Rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Wrench

My last words will likely be, Crap that didn't wo
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well, @Defiant motivated me to pull my NTC3 out and rebuild it!

Still pulling my parts list together, but here's what the old man looks like now. Engine is an OS .12 CV which still has great compression, so going to stick with it for now. All suggestions welcomed! Not going to be a shelf queen! Want to run this guy!

These are, "as-is" pictures. Do want to go with stainless screw hardware, but welcome.suggestions!

1000000371.jpg
1000000372.jpg
1000000373.jpg
1000000374.jpg
1000000374.jpg
1000000376.jpg
1000000377.jpg
1000000375.jpg

These are, "as-is" pictures. Do want to go with stainless screw hardware, but welcome.suggestions!
Holy cow! You’ve got some great parts on it already. I built mine with the rc screwz stainless kit and can’t complain, it was perfect! Only thing I’d add is some blue washers under the screws for some extra flare. Xtreme racing makes carbon fiber upper decks if you’re looking to go that route.

Holy cow! You’ve got some great parts on it already. I built mine with the rc screwz stainless kit and can’t complain, it was perfect! Only thing I’d add is some blue washers under the screws for some extra flare. Xtreme racing makes carbon fiber upper decks if you’re looking to go that route.
In my personal opinion, stainless steel anything has no place in RC. It's fine for a shelf queen, for the bling factor, and I sometimes will use stainless screws in a pinch if I have no steel screws in that size, but for anything you're going to run, stainless steel screws will more often become harder to remove.

A lot of people assume stainless steel screws won't corrode. But any metal that comes in contact with aluminum will corrode, especially stainless, since it is usually uncoated.

Another thing most people don't realize is stainless steel is much, much softer than hardened steel screws. Because of that, they are far easier to strip out.

In my personal opinion, stainless steel anything has no place in RC. It's fine for a shelf queen, for the bling factor, and I sometimes will use stainless screws in a pinch if I have no steel screws in that size, but for anything you're going to run, stainless steel screws will more often become harder to remove.

A lot of people assume stainless steel screws won't corrode. But any metal that comes in contact with aluminum will corrode, especially stainless, since it is usually uncoated.

Another thing most people don't realize is stainless steel is much, much softer than hardened steel screws. Because of that, they are far easier to strip out.
True, but I find that if you run any rc properly, the hardware will corrode no matter what it is. On a touring car like the TC3 it shouldn’t be a problem since they rarely get driven in hard conditions, they’re usually only used on flat tracks in the dry. As for being harder to remove that depends if you have a quality tool kit or not, and a lot of people really tighten some of their screws a lot harder than they really should be into plastic..

a lot of people really tighten some of their screws a lot harder than they really should be into plastic..
Very true. I don't usually have problems with stainless hardware. The only reason I have stainless at all though is for my 3d printers, which are all stainless hardware.

Very true. I don't usually have problems with stainless hardware. The only reason I have stainless at all though is for my 3d printers, which are all stainless hardware.
Stainless has its place, and there are definitely some places I’d avoid it. For RCs I’ve had a good experience using stainless hardware in all my rigs, no issues with stripping but I’m also very careful and use quality tools. As with everything it just depends on how you treat it and an average person might not be so nice to an RC as we are. Although I have seen screws come stripped form factory so sometimes you just can’t win but I figure if someone is taking the time to replace every screw on their car with SS, they likely are also meticulous about it.

Id get rid of the red fuel line ,or at least the one that goes to the carb ,Id go
with a white or clear line so you can see the fuel flow to the carb ,the red also
does not match with the rest of the car ,other than that ,you have a sweet ride!..😍:thumbs-up:

Back