T-Maxx 2.5 overheating

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGAMMER36

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a Tmaxx 2.5 i purchased around Christmas it ran very well until I brought it to a bmx park and did some jumps it suddenly began overheating to around 320F before that the temps never got over 260 it was tuned richer than breaking settings. After that i put it in a box and ignored it until a week ago when i pulled it out and tuned it. It ran great for a few days and today the problem came back. The car has only run through a little under a gallon of 20% nitro.

Pull the engine and inspect for cracks around the mounting flanges. Also keep an eye out for oil on the crank case. I've cracked quite a few 2.5/3.3 crank cases on the bottom side of the mounting flange. They seem fine until they run for a bit, then with heat, the crack expands and they suck air/leak oil.

Could also be an air leak around the carb or backplate. Leaks are exacerbated by heat. Did you ever seal the engine?I don't even run new ones anymore without first tearing the down and sealing the carb/backplate with RTV.

Pull the engine and inspect for cracks around the mounting flanges. Also keep an eye out for oil on the crank case. I've cracked quite a few 2.5/3.3 crank cases on the bottom side of the mounting flange. They seem fine until they run for a bit, then with heat, the crack expands and they suck air/leak oil.

Could also be an air leak around the carb or backplate. Leaks are exacerbated by heat. Did you ever seal the engine?I don't even run new ones anymore without first tearing the down and sealing the carb/backplate with RTV.
Thanks, I will try that and post the results.

Thank you, there was a puddle of nitro under the carburetor and oil driping from the exhost port where the muffeler ataches so i fixed that. I hadn't sealed the engine previously but it is sealed very well now. Unfortunately i found the problem to late and the engine now has low compression. From now on i will seal my engines before running them for the first time.

Thank you, there was a puddle of nitro under the carburetor and oil driping from the exhost port where the muffeler ataches so i fixed that. I hadn't sealed the engine previously but it is sealed very well now. Unfortunately i found the problem to late and the engine now has low compression. From now on i will seal my engines before running them for the first time.
sounds like a new sleeve and piston.Thats easy lol.

Back