T maxx .15 throttle question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antndrew78

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I am reassembling a .15 with a new engine does anyone know where the linkage goes there are 2 holes in the arm so I mount the throttle linkage to the top or bottom hole ?

Do you mean the bell crank? Can you give more details or better yet provide pics. I'm sure we can help you just need more details.

Yes the bell crank has 2 positions to mount the linkage. I can't remember if it was the top or bottom hole

Lower one goes to the carb. Top one goes to servo.

Do you mean on the carb itself? If I remember right, the .15 max used a wire to go from the servo to the carb directly. Had a bend in it to get up over the trans/spur, then back down to the carb. I'd say use the hole the furthest from center. Then try using the throttle with the air filter off and the engine not running to see if it's opening all the way.

I'm guessing your talking about the little lever on the carb:
Traxxas_TRX_Pro_15_Short_Crank.jpg

You can see the wire here:
dsc03003.jpg

Yes I used the bottom hole in the lever and adjusted the throttle trim accordingly I am using a flysky gt3b 2.4ghz and it seems to be set up correctly stil have not run yet to break it in I am waiting for cooler weather when I broke my 2.5 in I did it in hot humid weather and burnt up a few glow plugs and you all know there not cheap

Last edited:
It's easier to break in a motor in hotter weather. Make sure you have the hotter plugs to make it easier to tune for that type of weather. What break in method are you using? What color are the glow plugs? This will tell you if you are on the top rich or too lean.

What you want to see is dry plugs and the coils to be grayish in color then you are pretty much tuned to its max powerband.

I used traxxas plugs I think they were 3232x I had posted the info on the traxxas sight and everyone was saying it was not Normal but after every tank I was blowing a plug I was following the traxxas break in so on the final 2 tanks I waited for it to be cooler out like 70 degrees and didn't have any problems after that

For Hot weather you need to use the Hot Plugs, medium is for mild weather and Cold plugs are for cold weather. Some engines tend to be more sensitive to plug temps. Unfortunately Traxxas motors are RTR motors and are considered budget motors and as such they are made in huge quantities hence quality control will not be as good as the higher end motors. So you will have a greater chance of getting a lemon motor with them.

After having a little trouble with the break in it runs really nice now so I am happy with it. I hope the break in on the .15 goes smooth I will be doing it just like traxxas says in the manual any additional info from guys with expierence with the .15 will be appreciated thanks

For Hot weather you need to use the Hot Plugs, medium is for mild weather and Cold plugs are for cold weather. Some engines tend to be more sensitive to plug temps. Unfortunately Traxxas motors are RTR motors and are considered budget motors and as such they are made in huge quantities hence quality control will not be as good as the higher end motors. So you will have a greater chance of getting a lemon motor with them.
You might want to try to read up on that a bit more. I see that a lot on forums, but have found many threads that explain what the plug temp really is for.

From personal experience, I haven't noticed the ambient temp affecting a plug one way or another. Nitro percentage and compression quantity tend to dictate what plug you should use. The temp of a plug is to adjust the timing of combustion. Too hot and it combusts too early as the piston is coming up. Too cold and it combusts as the piston is going down.

I've found that a medium or medium-hot plug works well in all my engines with 25% nitro. I used to run hot plugs in small blocks and medium/medium hot in big blocks. Then when I switched to 25% nitro vs 20%, I found better performance running a cooler plug in my smallblocks as well.

I use hot plugs when ambient temperature is over 100 but use medium below that while using any Nitro percentage over 20. Currently I'm using 33% Nitro content. For bashing I guess it doesn't matter much but I'm so used to tuning for racing that I haven't strayed from that mindset. I've used this plug tuning method since my on-road days using .12 motors but they were high rpm motors unlike the off-road motors which is more low-mid. However at least from my experience and location(California Central Valley)this has worked for me. The plug tuning and carb tuning of course like olds97_lss said(and very accurate)is dependent on Nitro Content and compression. Other factors of course would be ambient temperature, location(elevation), humidity. Using different temperature plugs of course is just another tuning tool and can help eliminate tuning issues. For most conditions running medium plugs should be okey. Doing the fuel tube pinch test should help you to get into the ballpark of the right tune. It's better running a tad richer to be on the safe side especially if you run hard and when the fuel tank is near empty.