Suggestions for 1st hobby grade purchase

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again for all the responses. I posted on another site and didn't get a single comment,I will create another post once I purchase to get an idea of battery and spare parts etc

Its funny because the new spektrum systems for arrma rigs run futaba communications (FHSS iirc).
Communications protocol and actual application programming are 2 very different things as we can see from the results of how this radio performs. Spektrum makes some good radios. Many of the guys who race swear by them, but this RTR radio is junk sadly. For what I do (speed runs) I need the longest range possible so it is only one option for me.... Futaba

Thanks again for all the responses. I posted on another site and didn't get a single comment,I will create another post once I purchase to get an idea of battery and spare parts etc
You can always post on ArrmaForum.com sister to this forum also operated by @WoodiE

You will want to get setup there anyway if you purchase an Arrma vehicle.

Communications protocol and actual application programming are 2 very different things as we can see from the results of how this radio performs. Spektrum makes some good radios. Many of the guys who race swear by them, but this RTR radio is junk sadly. For what I do (speed runs) I need the longest range possible so it is only one option for me.... Futaba
Yup. I was speed running in the late 00’s and had many wrecks because of spektrum radios. People love them because they haven’t had a bad experience yet. But I’ve lost over a grand to them. Aside from a dx3e, never again.

Hi everyone, first time post and new RC user. I have been researching and shopping for a new RC for a little while now and was hoping to get some suggestions, corrections to my current impressions or advice on a new purchase. This will probably be my last RC purchase for a while and want something that will last and I will not get sick of.

First what I have now...a 1/16 380 brushed sct 4wd that I got for $40, and a 1/10 540 brushed 4wd mt. I really enjoy how the smaller car burns out and accelerates quicker but the larger scale is so much smoother and goes through everything. Both of these go under 20mph and I'm already getting sick of them.

What I think I want...budget from $200 - $550 (more if a big difference for slightly more) budget is for RTR car and battery(s) cost. I want it to go at least 40 mph(ish) out of the box with the ability for more down the road. I am only looking for brushed electric 4wd and will be mostly used for bashing at the park, on trails, in the snow (Minnesota) and maybe once a month at a track (not necessarily to participate in races though) I want fast, durable and easy to drive/good handling is a plus. There is a few shops near me and I have no problem waiting for parts online.

Here is what I currently have in mind (please feel free to correct or add on)
-JLB Cheetah 120a 1/10- from what I hear fast and durable but hard to drive - $280
-Team Energy V8sc 1/8 or 1/10- heard durable but don't know much else - $380
-Losi Tenacity-T 1/10 -good brand, don't know much else
-Vkar Racing Bison 1/10- fast and better handling than Cheetah, chassis/durability issues? Looks like there is another version with metal chassis and shock protectors... - $320
-open to the whole Arrma 3s blx line - Fast and light, durable? (Think I would enjoy the senton or typhon the most but who knows lol) - $300 + battery
-also open to Arrma 6s line, but is it worth the $150 over the 3s line? Seems like both go about 50mph out of the box, what is better? I'm assuming more durable but is that it?

my only issue with spending $500 is I don't know how much I will be able to use the RC. But if the durability,speed and handling are all better I am definitely open to it. Just so you know how I operate I look at everything with value. I don't need the fastest or best but if long term I will be better off spending $500 today I'm ok with that, and like everyone enjoy a great deal!

?? Does buying at a store in person give the benefit of warranty support by just stopping in, such as buying Arrma at authorized seller? If so, this is a huge plus as I don't know how much I will be tinkering or wanting to do repairs.

Please feel free to suggest a brand/model as I love reading and thanks in advance !

Hmm?I’m not a fan of these cheap unheard of brands here today gone tomorrow couple of years ago this Helion came on the scene with seemingly a nice bunch of 1/10 scale off road,ers like a knock off traxass slash 4x4 or Losi 10scte, But I don’t hear much of them anymore, depending on your country in Uk Losi parts are hard to source but I do like them, the Tenacity seems built for a price,
Arrma comes to mind as quite reasonable value for money but again spares are slow in Uk, but US there in plenty of.
May be an Arrma Granite 3s blx or Arrma Senton blx 3s would suit you, both reasonable priced . I quite like my Traxxas Slash 4x4 vxl although a pricy outlay.

Spares Arrma seems hit n miss not everything fits right first time it can take some frustrating fiddling around especially with diff parts ?, where’s anything Traxxas Or Losi I bOught fits just as easy as the original part came off!
Bottom line is it’s Your money it has to be your choice . But for the price of an Arrma Senton against the Traxxas Slash 4x4 it’s certainly tops the scales in favor of the Arrma considering what is on offer on Face value at least. Leave the cheap brands not worth it in the longevity of things .

Ecx has good parts availability and decent aftermarket support. Don’t compare them to helion- they’re owned by horizon.

I have a couple of different brands but my Arrma's are easily the best from a number of different perspectives. I have both 6S and 3S vehicles. If your budget allows then go the 6S but you won't be disappointed with the 3S at all.

I think you have to decide how you will use the r/c car or truck. Are you going to race, bash or just have fun in the backyard? You can go to your local hobby shop and talk with the people there for recommendations. I am sure they can tell you stories about customers who bought extremely powerful cars or trucks in the morning and come back for parts in the evening. You want something where you can walk into in haobby store and get parts. In most cases that would mean something made by Traxxas, If you want something super powerful you might want to consider the E-Revo. I would also suggest going to the Big Squid RC site for reviews. When they test things they abuse them. Most importantly have fun.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com

I think you have to decide how you will use the r/c car or truck. Are you going to race, bash or just have fun in the backyard? You can go to your local hobby shop and talk with the people there for recommendations. I am sure they can tell you stories about customers who bought extremely powerful cars or trucks in the morning and come back for parts in the evening. You want something where you can walk into in haobby store and get parts. In most cases that would mean something made by Traxxas, If you want something super powerful you might want to consider the E-Revo. I would also suggest going to the Big Squid RC site for reviews. When they test things they abuse them. Most importantly have fun.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com
depending on location Arrma does have really good parts support at LHS, i can walk behind the corner and build at least one complete roller besides the Chassis, wheel hexes, and body at my LHS, and all those as long as they are in stock at either tower, or Horizon they can order those in for the following tuesday.
and my LHS is really small.

I would get an arrma 3s or 4s first because they are light weight and can take a beating. My next purchase is going to be one of those because you get a lot for your money. They are cheaper than the Traxxas 4x4 vxls and the arrmas are easy to work on

You may want to consider an Associated Rival MT10. It takes a beating better than most, You can see all the Youtube videos, As one reviewer said, he has taken his to the skatepark 3 or 4 times and it's the only truck he can drive back to his car. You may want to do some research. The Arrmas a great.

OP hasn't been back to forum for going on 2 months. But just in case anyone else reads this thread looking for opinions...

We have the Arrma Granite 3s BLX, which is the V3 model. We also have the 6s Kraton BLX, which is the V3 also. The Granite is stock, and I don't know if it's the grass, driving style, or what, but bashing on ours rips the u-joints apart on the rear axles every time we run it. I have adjusted the slipper, put brand new oem axles in it, and it still destroys them. But it is one of the funnest RC's to drive. It just needs an axle upgrade.

Our Kraton has nearly every M2C upgrade you can get on it but everything else is stock. It's an absolute beast on 6s, and can take one helluva beating. The Granite will throw grass, and dirt, and do crazy wheelies when it gets traction, but the Kraton will throw chunks of SOD! It removes all the grass from two strips in the field whenever we get on the throttle.

Being a bigger 1/8 scale makes the Kraton a scarier truck to drive though. You definitely don't want to hit your legs at speed, because you will be walking on crutches for a long time if you do. Where the Granite may fracture a bone, I imagine the Kraton will snap bones in two 😜

So for a noob, maybe the Granite, Typhon, or Vorteks would be a good starter RC.

The Typhon can be modded to be a awesome buggy but limited on what terrain it can run. I don't drive my Typhon that much at all unless we head out to the sand dunes. It's sits pretty low.