Stuck in second gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejb2112

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi everyone. I need some help.

I have an MGT .21 with the 2-speed transmission. It is stuck in second gear and refuses to drop back down into first.

Here's what I've done to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Took apart the transmission and verified all of the parts are in there and in good shape.

2. Rebuilt the clutch.

3. Checked all the gears for any missing teeth (there are none).

4. Adjusted the little black screw in the transmission every which way.

5. Verified the 2-speed drive shaft in the tranny is straight and correctly attached to the little disk that has the set screws (can't remember the name).

All of the electronics and servos are working well, the engine runs great, and it will even switch back and forth between forward and reverse. But in both directions, it's still stuck in second gear.

Any suggestions?

i had this happen to my 8.0 i did the same thing you did i took the tranny apart and cleaned it up really good. I talk to my local rc guy and he said the 2nd gear disk might have a bur on it so it wont release back to first this was not the case with mine it was not tuned correctly it had to many rpms to down shift. i hope this helps.

Thanks, TMAXX. I played around with the idle, hoping to bring it down enough to trigger it to drop down into first gear. But that didn't do it, and I'm pretty sure the engine is well-tuned.

So I finally gave up and took it to the local hobby shop. Hopefully they can figure it out without busting my wallet.

I will let you know the end result.

Well, the hobby shop found the problem. The spur gear, where it attaches to the transmission, was stripped. $48 for parts, labor and a tune-up, and all is good!