Stuck carb on nitro rc

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone advise me on taking off carb off my s star 25 engine as I have removed the pinch bolt but the carb don't come off won't even turn like it's stuck on thanks in advance

Quick guess is that fuel has formed a ring of gunk that's got it stuck. Not really sure how to go about getting (maybe DA or something that won't eat up your seal) into the seam. Maybe soak a piece of rag or paper towel and wrapping it up around it to let it soak and loosen the goo? If the seal is still pliable, you may be able to gently go around the seam with a hook tool or a dental hook to get under it and see if you can break the seal that way.
If it's super clean and you don't think that's the issue, maybe a few very light taps with a soft plastic (screw driver handle?) to see if you can shock it loose... Just to get it to move slightly. Obviously don't want to try and hammer it off.
You could also try heating it with a heat gun being VERY careful so as not to melt the plastic including the seals inside the carb. I see that being a VERY delicate operation. Be VERY sure that there is NO fuel or anything else flamable in the carb or engine that could ignite. My gun can get super hot and actually blow sparks out.
If you bought it used and don't know the history of the motor, it's possible that someone used an automotive RTV type sealer to seal a leak. Not sure what to use there to clean that off chemically tho. Hope some of this works for you!
Good luck!

Quick guess is that fuel has formed a ring of gunk that's got it stuck. Not really sure how to go about getting (maybe DA or something that won't eat up your seal) into the seam. Maybe soak a piece of rag or paper towel and wrapping it up around it to let it soak and loosen the goo? If the seal is still pliable, you may be able to gently go around the seam with a hook tool or a dental hook to get under it and see if you can break the seal that way.
If it's super clean and you don't think that's the issue, maybe a few very light taps with a soft plastic (screw driver handle?) to see if you can shock it loose... Just to get it to move slightly. Obviously don't want to try and hammer it off.
You could also try heating it with a heat gun being VERY careful so as not to melt the plastic including the seals inside the carb. I see that being a VERY delicate operation. Be VERY sure that there is NO fuel or anything else flamable in the carb or engine that could ignite. My gun can get super hot and actually blow sparks out.
If you bought it used and don't know the history of the motor, it's possible that someone used an automotive RTV type sealer to seal a leak. Not sure what to use there to clean that off chemically tho. Hope some of this works for you!
Good luck!
Hi
Mike thanks for your reply it's a brand new out of the box engine I want to turn the carb around to fit my savage truck

Ok. I just read that there is a metal band on the inside of the plastic sleeve (sounds like it would have been pressed in from the factory) In this case, I haven't got a better answer for you as I am not personally familiar with that carb/motor. I would try to get in touch with hpi tech and see what they recommend. From what I read, it sounds like it's pretty easy (common too) to break the sleeve. That would probably ruin my day, esp on a brand new motor.
If you do call, please post what they tell you. I'd like to know for any future experience I might have. You could probably save someone here a headache too! Wish I could have helped more!
Good luck!

What does the instruction manual say? There may be a specific tool you need.

if i have a carb that is stuck and wont come out i usually use a small rubber hammer and gently tap it to get it to rotate

i tap it on the HSN side, when doing this i use a little force on the hammer but not like I'm trying to hit a nail

if it then turns but won't come out pull it up while twisting it again not using too much force so not wrenching on it just enough to persuade it

I'm with craig on the tapping, I've had to lightly tap the pinch bolt sometimes also.