Stopping an engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by tmaxxster4375
The reason i pinch the line is because my AE engine says do not shut off engine by putting finger over stinger, anybody know why they would say that.
You brought up a very valid point. Every RC manual I have seen says to pinch the fuel line yet most people who run rc's say that it's better for the engine to plug the exhaust. Which is right?

I think its also eaier to start the engine again when you pinch the line.

I found it's easier to start the engine is you plug the exhaust since fuel is everywhere it needs to be and all you gotta do is crank it over.

Lets talk obvious, in the directions to my 2.5 it says tune the lsn by pinching the fuel line, well that deprives the engine of fuel thus creating the sircumstance of a " empty tank" when ever I did this it sped up lean for about a half a milli-second NOT enough to do any damage IMHO. and my opinoin is based on a lifetime of working on small engines like weed wackers and lawn mowers, some 2 stroke and some 4. Not to mention that I raced and pitted dirtbikes for about 3 years when I was a youngin.

By the way has anyone seen my :llama: ?

I mean come on guys pinching the line everytime may hardly i mean barely create a loss in engine life but really, you arent going to be able to tell if your engine is performing less then the normal engine wear, I myslef wouldnt wait until a engine just plain out is fryed and eaten. Because i wouldnt want to be driving a car with a crapped out engine in it anyway so why would it matter to have you car lean for a second. Well i guess for you people that run your engines until they wont keep running then maybe pinching the line isnt a good idea. but for me I'm not going to run my engine till death because its no fun to be slow because your engine is loosing performance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

i put my finger over exhaust stops it everytime

819spamgrinderbmoc.gif
nitro 13 stop spamming you are like worse than me

Ok, My friend found about about plugging the stinger the hard way. He now needs a new carb. Fuel squirts out all the holes. Only plug the stinger if you lost control of the car. That is the best way to do it in the case that your car is no longer talking to the remote. Don't ever touch the flywheel at WOT. A guy I met at a track worked at a hobby shop and we were discussing this. He said not to plug the stinger and used my friends storm as an example, no matter when you set the needles there is no differance. He pull out of his pocket a starting stick for RC airplanes. It's a peice of wood that is half or all rubber that you hold in your fist to start a propeller, was under 5 bucks too. I tried pinching the fuel lines and I hate it when you pinch it and it goes WOT and it doesn't shut off. Anyways, the guy I met told me some stories of people coming in with messed up thumbs saying there car was at WOT and they tried to shut it of by touching the flywheel and he just smiles to those stories.

I usually put my thumb over the stinger to kill the engine, but if it's too hot I use the butt end of a screw driver and it works.

My friend killed his 8 port doing that, well atleast his carb. I am trying to get out of the habit and stopping the flywheel instead.

stopping motor?

I am new to rc cars, i have had my for about 3 months now, and i already had to replace the motor due to the piston breaking. I have read many ways of stopping the engine, but which is the best? Which does not cause harm to the motor?thanx :) A.J.

Instead of using a body part you could just use your shoe to cover the stinger. That's what I do.

It's probably the best way, you could hurt your self on the flywheel, covering the filter runs the risk of pushing a lil dirt into the engine, and pinching the fuel line will lean it out for a few seconds. None of these are really that harmful, it just seems best to put your shoe over the stinger IMO.

Last edited:
Rouge said:
I just keep a 5 gallon bucket of water close by and Dunk it when I'm done. This way I dont have to worry about burning myself, Keeps the car clean too.:chinese:
I hope you are just kidding about this ! Man you will suck mad water into ur engine! Plus ur electronis. Thumb one the carb works but I am worried debri getin to the carb or forcing parrticals into the filter that could be sucked back into the motor. I either take a used marker and tap the fly wheel, doesn't scrach the flywheel either. or plug the exhaust. duratraxs makes a tool for this job and it also included in the pit stop. :cheers:

ohhh didn't know read it and was like dam. lol sorry. I didn't think someone could be that well you know .

What's worng with using a lake? It only takes a few days for it to dry out. No more money spent just for my brakes to wear out...

I Love To Finger It Lefthanded Since I'm Righty I Need To Save That For The Ladies

Back