Stiffer Springs ----- Does it Help???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbspurgeon

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was looking for something to keep my t-maxx on its wheels and not the body. I am having trouble with roll overs. I don't want to spend alot of money on shocks so I was thinking stiffer springs might work. Can anybody give me some links and or brand names they have had good luck with?

Thanks
Ben

http://www.rcraveninc.com/category/tmaxxparts.dualratesprings/

These are dual rate rcraven springs I've never actually used them but heard that they work great.

Also maybe take the turns slower... lol yeah i know how you feel i would play around with your preload and shock positions before you spend money on springs.

Also are you driving alot of asphalt or dirt/gravel?

First thing to try is lowing the ride height of the truck. if you have any spring spacers installed you can remove them and see if you get the results you're looking for.

Integy has a nice set of springs that I like. If you want something REAL stiff you could try the Trinity blue or black springs.

There's also the option of an offset wheel and it wouldn't necessarily run you too much dough. RPM makes tough wheels in an offset that will make your truck wider, and they're not that expensive. usually around $12 a pair.

You can try moving your lower shock mounts out a hole or two and add some pre-load to the shocks for a little more stability.

New rims/tires might help... offset, but that will run you decent money as well (rims @ $12*2 + tires @ $22*2 = $68). That will also put a lot of extra stress on the already labored axle bearings of a t-maxx in my honest opinion.

I'd try dropping the ride height a bit, adding a bit stiffer spring and heavier oil. Not sure what stock is, but if it's 30, go up to 40-45. If it's 40, go up to 50.

Keep in mind though, those plastic shock bodies can't take a lot of punishment. Once you put on heavier springs and thicker oil (to keep the heavier springs from being bouncy), you will start blowing the caps off and splitting the shock cylinders if you hit any decent jumps. Been there... sucks.

If you do decide to get some better shocks to handle thicker oil/stiffer springs, get the traxxas big bores. $60 and they are built really well. Probably some of the best drop in upgrade shocks you can get your hands on. $60 isn't bad either considering there is 8 of them. ;)

If your not a big jumper, you can actually just buy some shock o-rings and put limiters inside the shocks under the disk so they don't extend as far. You'd be surprised what shaving 4-5mm off your shock extension would do to body roll and handling in the corners. Try it on 2 in the front and two in the back. If you don't like it, then you only have to fix 4. If you do like it, do the remaining 4 to avoid off angle stress on the shock parts. You would need a few of these sets though to try: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJJ17&P=SM
Or go to your local hardware store and see if they sell any little o-rings. I'm not sure how normal rubber will hold up to silicone oil though... might be ok.

I tried going the lazy route once and use fuel line, but it split then messed up the shocks when it was floating around in the oil.

Last edited:
associated has all different springs for the mgt monster truck that fit the tmaxx and work really well. But if you want the best performance i wud make the truck have a wider stance, change springs, and change shock oil.

I have the same problem and was wondering the cheapest solution.

The springs arent expensive at all so prob go straight for them :)

everyone has this problem. I fixed it by putting 4 Integy dark blue "never bottom out" springs on each corner. It really helped and only $7. I kept the stock red springs 1 on each corner. So 1 blue and 1 red on each corner. IMO the stiffer the spring the better. So, instead of flipping my truck spins out when i take a corner too fast.

everyone has this problem. I fixed it by putting 4 Integy dark blue "never bottom out" springs on each corner. It really helped and only $7. I kept the stock red springs 1 on each corner. So 1 blue and 1 red on each corner. IMO the stiffer the spring the better. So, instead of flipping my truck spins out when i take a corner too fast.

This ok to do?

Surely this puts to much pressure on one spring?

no, what this does is uses the blue spring and stock as the primary dampener. The red spring and shock is then used as a stabilizer. You do not have to have 2 shocks, you can drive with 1. Dont worry about putting too much pressure on 1, it's not an issue.

no, what this does is uses the blue spring and stock as the primary dampener. The red spring and shock is then used as a stabilizer. You do not have to have 2 shocks, you can drive with 1. Dont worry about putting too much pressure on 1, it's not an issue.

Thanks for that. Very new to all this so trying to learn stuff before i break to much :)

Yeah, you may find that 4 stiff ones on the rear with a mix of 2 soft/2 stiff on the front may give you better general handling or at least better steering.