steering servos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bifft it

RCTalk Addict
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
last upgrades my trucks need is steering servos. whats a good mid-priced servo ($50-75) i can't justify a servo for any more than that for what i do with my trucks and 6 at one shot will be a bit spendy. tires i run on my XL's are goliaths and one X has big joes, the other X has pitchforks, and the flux has big joes

Savox sc-0251mg or the sc-0252mg.

For your XL, I'd get the Savox SA-1230SG, $75 and 500oz of tq will turn the Goliaths easily. If you don't want the overkill of tq on your other trucks, look at the Savox SC-0251, $40 and 200+ tq.

Id put the Savox 1230SG on all of them. You'll have to put a spacer of some sort in between the servo mounting tabes and the servo mounting holes to accommodate the extra height of the servo but thats easy enough. IDk if you have to do that with the XL but you will with the X's

Hobbico CS-170tg 333oz @6v and there $84 shipped from advantagehobby.com. I've ran two for almost 4 years now with no issues. 70mph curbs checks, no problem for this servo.

I've tried the savox sc0251 twice now and both times the servo lasted 20min and then dies. Once was as a throttle/ brake servo and the other as a Steering servo. My advice is to spend the money and get a better servo.

Last edited:
I've tried the savox sc0251 twice now and both times the servo lasted 20min and then dies. Once was as a throttle/ brake servo and the other as a Steering servo. My advice is to spend the money and get a better servo.

Really? This is the first negative review I've seen for a Savox, I've never run one, but I've only heard good things. How long ago was this?

I dont own that model of savox but I own 5 Savox's total and I will never buy anything but Savox again so far.....that being said I've only started buying Savox servos within the last 4 or 5 months and havent really ran much during the winter.

Last year is when this happened. I do own another savox servo tho, the savox sc-1257tg and I have to say so far this servo works well, but I've only used it once. This weekend it will get used again hehe oh and it's my throttle/ brake servo.

I've been wanting to try a Savax. Every time I need a servo, I've been lucky enough to find Hitecs on sale.

Whats the spline count on the savox?

I replaced my hitech with a savox on steering and noticed the savox is much smoother.

I would go with hitech , I have the savox 6v sc-1256TG and SC-1257TG and if you run them both at the same time you will get power glitching and a cap din't help , if I run one stock servo and one savox then it's fine .

If a power cap didnt help you had other issues, i run savox in ALL my race RC's and yes if running Spektrum you need a glitch buster, but it always fixed my issues.

Savox is 25 spline......

If a power cap didnt help you had other issues, i run savox in ALL my race RC's and yes if running Spektrum you need a glitch buster, but it always fixed my issues.

Savox is 25 spline......

I have a 4PL with Reedy’ hump packs , everything is next to new , I even try it with 3 different R2104GF RX and with 3 different 6v reedy packs same thing every time , the savox servo's are just to power hungry , may be I got servo's
from a bad batch.
I did buy the best 6.6v I could get my hands on but I have not had time to try it yet. If the 6.6v don't work I'll run a 7.4 onto I see smoke :hehe:

Thanks for the input!!
due to cash restraints i think i am going with the savox servo. i should be fine with that and stock throttle sevos, or the spare sf-50's i have at throttle. this my last rc spending spree and its something i have been putting off.i would sure like to get those $80 servos, but i just can't swing that much at one time.
I had the os 30 savage out a couple times this winter and it was discouraging to only be able to turn one way and only partially the other way. i know now what it feels like in a Nascar always making left turns! I know now why those drivers are so loopy.
:p:

Last edited:
I found these ones and couldn't help myself I hope they weren't a bad buy, has anyone tried them.

HPI SF-32TT (24kg-cm/6.0V)

Hitec is what I use for steering. I have torque of about 295 oz in. It is plenty strong. It turns my large 6.5" tall tires with ease on carpet.

Back