Steering servo no power

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacobCS90

RC Newbie
Reaction score
My servo lost power a month ago so I replaced it with an identical servo still no power so I figured it was the wax I replaced that and still nothing. Everything else on the buggy works fine. Transmitter? This is a wltoys 12428 so the it has an esc/receiver combo. Please help!

as much as i hate to say it, it is probably the receiver and given it is one unit both might need to be replaced, what scale is the buggy? would you have room to mount separated esc/receiver? arrma has a waterproof esc (https://www.horizonhobby.com/mega-12t-brushed-esc-(red)-aram1005) waterproof-ish for 30$ and you can get a cheaper tx/rx combo, tactic is about 60$ for the pair new (https://www.horizonhobby.com/ttx300-3-channel-slt-radio-system-with-tr325-p-tacj0300) or find a set for about 40$ used on ebay. (the receiver is really small, so should be easy to place, it is not waterproof that i can find though, may be able to silicone it to be water-resistant though)

Last edited:
I replaced the esc/receiver with a brand new one still the servo is unresponsive

could be a problem with the TX then, could be a problem with the steering switch. did the new RX/Esc come with a new controller or just the esc/RX?
have you confirmed and double checked all the wires that there is no cuts/tears/bad connectors?

The esc/Rx did not come with another tx also I took apart the transmitter and switched the connectors for throttle and steering and the throttle still works with the steering wheel but still no power to the servo with the throttle pedal. I also ran a meter directly to the servo motor connectors and they are reading zero voltage.

would you by any chance be able to take a picture of the RX/esc combo? when you switched the connectors did you also try the reverse, and tried the throttle to turn?

Thanks for your time btw. Here is the new esc/rx while connected to the servo. I did try using the throttle control to servo and got nothing.

Attachments

• 573CE79E-4820-415A-94F4-3C6FDD5BD256.jpeg
    573CE79E-4820-415A-94F4-3C6FDD5BD256.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 167
so everything that is pictured is new correct? including wiring harnesses, casings etc?
and no problem hoping i can help get you back running, its not fun when things are just sitting on the bench!

I know right! Yes everything in the picture is new. Here is the tx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 149
also, the trim for the steering on the controller, try twisting that, see if there is any input that way. it seems you are either not getting channel 1 (steering) recognized from the receiver, or the receiver is receiving the channel, just isn't giving output. it really seems barring something physical that the receiver DOA, may try testing the leads on the receiver side of the servo connector and see if there is power there, double check the white connector on the receiver side of the servo for the pins, make sure none are folded over or anything.

those other 2 wiring connectors, are those to the lights I'm assuming? also with the voltage meter if possible, try checking all the wires not just the power/ground wires.

Also the steering trim does nothing. The two small connectors go to lights. As far as the rx side connector I tested as follows:
Neg- 0.01
Pos-0.01
Wht-3.26
Yell-2.49
Brn-0.0
One more thing I found but wouldn’t make sense to affect anything.

Sorry here

Attachments

• 870809DF-9763-41A1-8195-615909DF9620.jpeg
    870809DF-9763-41A1-8195-615909DF9620.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 160
  • CBFF46D3-01FC-4E63-A5AF-BFCB054DDFA7.jpeg
    CBFF46D3-01FC-4E63-A5AF-BFCB054DDFA7.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 145
what exactly are you pointing out? the black wire being stripped partially? may try checking an ohm meter across that to confirm something didnt become disconnected, if it is still good connection id definitely try to protect that with some electrical tape or something. also see if any of the voltages change while spinning the steering wheel.

Still no voltage on the servo side. But on the rx side I’m getting 0.019 on the red and black

so just to clarify, you are getting voltage at the RX side, but you are not getting anything at the servo? could be somewhere that the actual wire is cut or connection lost in the wire. id try either splicing in a new wire or contacting the people that had sold you the servo and tell them it was defective.

I’ll try it And let you know. This hobby is a great way to build patience ? Thanks again

that it is! definitely let me know what you get figured out!
also if it comes to it, you can install what i posted above and have fun wit that! :)