Steady idle settings and confused ??????????????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitro2020

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
Hi. I like to know how to tune the idle or low speed needle so the engine won't run constantly on idle. I hear that if you let a nitro engine set and let it run on idle for a long time, that is not a good thing. I hear that it should be set up where the engine should take on idling without moving the car 30 seconds to a minute before the engine loads up with fuel and eventually sort of quit.

Every time I try to tune my engine like this, number one the engine was still run constantly unless I add throttle after letting the engine set for like a minute or two. Scenario number two I tried to get the engine where I lower the idle the try not to get the engine to run constantly and only let it run on idle for about 30 seconds before it loads, but I could never get my engine or engines to run that way it'll just quit very rich before you have a chance to even run the car or more likely you'll have problems starting it. Which I thought the idea of a steady idle so that the engine can start as well as run reliable.

Scenario number 3 I begin to wonder at a steady idling I wonder what it work in a way that even if the engine still runs the way you tell if it loads up by looking at temperature gun and seeing the temperature going down. I tried that method and let's just say I'm confused and don't know what I'm doing.

I'll either have it running too rich where it won't start at all, then i would have to set back the idle screw open to get the engine to start. cohesively.

So here's my question when a engine loads up with fuel, 1 is it supposed to cool down the engine? 2 is it supposed to quit after the engine cools? Most of the time I find that the engine only quits if you let it run constantly to the point where it does cool down a little bit and then apply throttle and it just shuts off immediately. According to people it's supposed to shut off by itself, But for my experience it only can shut off just by pulling the throttle after over a minute of letting the engine idle on the ground with the car not moving.

You've collected a whole lot of bogus info about engines. Don't know where you got it or why you believe it.
Properly tuned it shouldn't load up, lean out, rev up or shut itself down by continuous idling. When you want it to shut down you either pinch the fuel line or plug the exhaust. You don't just let it run till it quits. I never heard anything like that...EVER.

Check the following link for all the info you need and get back to us.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

A lot of manufactures recommend the engine run at idle for the first full tank for break in. I ran mine that way and never stalled.

Most engines nowadays have 3 needles. If you have a 2 needles engines, it is harder to tune. Some cheap engines may have 3 needles but they are hard to tune once you change the settings. But a good tuned engine will idle at low speed for tanks without issue. Load up will mean you need the third to close a bid, like a quarter turn at a time. I usually start the high speed needle out 2.5 to 3 turns out from closing.

You've collected a whole lot of bogus info about engines. Don't know where you got it or why you believe it.
Properly tuned it shouldn't load up, lean out, rev up or shut itself down by continuous idling. When you want it to shut down you either pinch the fuel line or plug the exhaust. You don't just let it run till it quits. I never heard anything like that...EVER.

Check the following link for all the info you need and get back to us.

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

Hi this is going to be long so sorry but I want to get this figured out. i've been trying to do some studies on this topic.

I want to just answer you first before I continue to talk about my study.

So basically you don't just let the idle constantly run at all unless you're going to drive the car you're saying?

Here's where the confusion start I own a DVD call nitro engine tuning guide buy RC car action magazine. It's titled ultimate nitro engine tuning guide.
In the beginning of the tape or dvd it talks about basically.

I quote. "after you find tune both your both low and high speed needle's. " It said 2 make sure that your nitro engine has what's called steady idling, where they said to lower the idle until the engine quits. "After that you turn the idle screw back half of what you turned the first time. "It gives the engine about 15 to 30 second before it loads up with fuel" unquote.

The way people explain it on the internet for watching some YouTube videos it said that the engine will start to quit or just quit after 15 to 30 sec.

But I find it just stay running until one the tank runs out, or two if you let it sit for about a minute until you pull the radio trigger after setting a minute then it dies.

Fine tuning the idle low speed from my thoughts I could be wrong but I believe it works like this. When the engine loads up with fuel when the car is not moving they don't necessarily have to shut off by itself from loading fuel and the crankcase. My belief from studying and fuss cussing on the trouble of tuning. Seems to suggest that what they mean by Steady idle it's just basically when the engine completely stops it's supposed to cool down a little bit and that's when the crankcase starts to load up with fuel which is normal.

I honestly don't know what to think it's so much mix information on the internet the only thing I got to know right is the high speed needle which is a easy needle.

I find interesting that when a fuel tank get a quarter empty but not half empty, the idle begins just sometime run a little bit differently but if I fill the tank all the way up to the neck of the lid. the idling kind of run less of a high kind of sound then the engine starts to quit and it loads up too fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone on the internet likes to post their car running well and then give their reasons. Those reasons might not apply to YOUR engine based on different fuel, nitro content, different temp glow plug, engine cooling, weather and season, etc.
When the engine is properly tuned according to the flow chart above, you shouldn't have to change the idle setting or the low speed needle again unless you change fuel types. However, the HSN will need to be tweaked almost every time you run since the outside temp and humidity will effect its performance. That's something you DON'T do till the engine has been properly warmed up. That's all you have to know to make the engine run right as long as it still has good compression and no air leaks.

I want to thank everybody for those who came to me within reason with comments and concern even though they have been removed by somebody. I want to make a special thanks to D3MON I put his reply underneath. And thanks to everybody else as well. Down below is D3MON's reply to me.

RC Talk Forum
D3MON replied to a thread you are watching at RC Talk Forum.

Running rich & still overheating!
a 2 stage idle typically means that the LSN is ever so slightly rich (typically maybe 1-3 hours on the needle) and the idle gap is slightly wide depending on the severity, (i.e. how fast the idle is, how long the idle is revving).
typically to reduce that, you would lean it out miniscule amounts until it stayed at the higher idle after a WOT pass, then reduce the idle gap to bring it down to a correct idle.

more or less what is happening is the idle gap is too wide, so when the LSN takes over from the HSN, there is that split second of the engine running "leaner" because the idle gap is wider than it is supposed to be, causing it to rev up, then after the LSN takes over, the LSN is putting to much fuel in to the crankcase and slowly loading it up with more and more fuel that it can't burn while idling, and because there is not enough air, it just builds up and brings down the idle.

Somebody removed them because you posted the exact same questions in another thread that was over 10 years old. You were politely told in a PM to read the rules and keep it to one thread per topic.
Carry on, gentlemen.

Somebody removed them because you posted the exact same questions in another thread that was over 10 years old. You were politely told in a PM to read the rules and keep it to one thread per topic.
Carry on, gentlemen.
i will say this one more time and only one more time, i had naver been here on this website 10 years ago and i am not mahx20

newnitro2020, you need to relax and pay attention to what I said. The THREAD you posted the same questions in was 10 years old. Whether it was a 10 year old thread, a 15 year old thread or a thread from last week, there's nothing to be gained by asking the same questions in more than your original thread. I don't know who mahx20 is either and I've been here since 2003. I doubt he can help you but others are trying to in THIS thread.

newnitro2020, you need to relax and pay attention to what I said. The THREAD you posted the same questions in was 10 years old. Whether it was a 10 year old thread, a 15 year old thread or a thread from last week, there's nothing to be gained by asking the same questions in more than your original thread. I don't know who mahx20 is either and I've been here since 2003. I doubt he can help you but others are trying to in THIS thread.
ok i also made a reply to your pm For those that see this completely illiterate when it comes down the internet forms but I'm trying my best. thanks

I'm going to answer my own self.

I know it's strange but I am going to answer my own self.

Steady idle wasn't really a good way to figure this out but I didn't know. because when I first got in to try to want Nitro and learn as well as wanting to learn. this was the first post.

I didn't know what a steady idle was in fact I learned it on my own but help the low speed worked followed by confirming with people.

Very first thread. I remember this thread I had issues with this guy named Rolex. he would take my struggling as if I want to hear what I wanted to hear and not really for what it really was as far as the value of the knowledge that I wanted to know about Nitro.

I was wondering why I never heard nothing from him until he died. I wish you would have seen things for what it really was. I wish everybody would see things for what it really was as far as a person that just wanted to learn and enjoy good knowledge or understanding.

May you rest in peace sir.
Now engine load is where you have the engine slowly loading the crankcase within at least 30 seconds and then when you throttle your engine a quick blip. you should have a big little puff of smoke just from cleaning out the load then the next blip of the throttle you should have normal thin Trails smoke.

It's normal after letting the engine sit and then for smoke to be a little thicker because of the load.

So a good load on the engine means not the engine shutting off. it means just how slow can the engine load with fuel in a way that it doesn't cut off. While at the same time maintaining that the engine while it's under idle for within the 3o second range cools down the engine from a high-speed pass for instance.

With that in mind make sure that the engine is at low constant rPM.

Imagine of bucket that leaks from a ceiling if that bucket leaks it should be a certain amount of time before that bucket starts filling up with water. well that's the idea of how a good engine load works.

Last edited: