starting question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3DN3CKRC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
so I keep breaking my pull start it just wont spin the engine enough to get it going. I was using a drill and a allen wrench on the built in spin start till that cracked... other then buying a new spin start how else can I get it going?

was wondering if its possible to just take the pull start thing off and use the bolt head to start it...
kinda like how this guys is,,
might be dumb thinking it would work but if it would its the easiest way I see.

thanks for any help

so I keep breaking my pull start it just wont spin the engine enough to get it going. I was using a drill and a allen wrench on the built in spin start till that cracked... other then buying a new spin start how else can I get it going?

was wondering if its possible to just take the pull start thing off and use the bolt head to start it...
kinda like how this guys is,,
might be dumb thinking it would work but if it would its the easiest way I see.

thanks for any help
You can use the Nut that is the 1 way bearing to start it. Here is why you may be having some issues starting it. Fuel, Heat, and compression is why this motor runs. It is most likely any one of those. Once you lose any of those it is hard to get to start.

Normally it is just not getting fuel in the engine. Or the Glow Plug is not hot enough. Do you have a Priming bulb on your fuel line. I find that helps. Also make sure the Glow Plug has the metal Gasket seal on it and is tight. Also you may want to take the motor apart just to make sure you don't have a bent Connecting Rod.

You do NOT do long pulls like you would with a lawn mower. You use short rapid yanks. Long pulls is what breaks them. The rapid yanks keep the fuel priming.

You can use the Nut that is the 1 way bearing to start it. Here is why you may be having some issues starting it. Fuel, Heat, and compression is why this motor runs. It is most likely any one of those. Once you lose any of those it is hard to get to start.

Normally it is just not getting fuel in the engine. Or the Glow Plug is not hot enough. Do you have a Priming bulb on your fuel line. I find that helps. Also make sure the Glow Plug has the metal Gasket seal on it and is tight. Also you may want to take the motor apart just to make sure you don't have a bent Connecting Rod.

the motors fine its only 2 weeks old and was just broken in then I broke the tranny and had to order parts. just got everything back together to day got it running and started to get the carb tuned (still set supper rich from break in) only thing that was keeping me from using that is the fact that it slides right out by hand, seams like with a engine cranken out up to 34000rpm it would fall out in half a second...

You do NOT do long pulls like you would with a lawn mower. You use short rapid yanks. Long pulls is what breaks them. The rapid yanks keep the fuel priming.

I have been doing short quick pulls. the pull start had come with a hex on the back that I used for the first couple starts with a drill to break it in but that crack so I was stuck with the pull start. the hub the string wraps around is striped on the inside now.... think I'm just going to take the pull start apart and make my self an adapter for that OWB nut and leave the plastic pull start cover on to keep everything in there.

Yes the 1 way bearing is not held in by anything but the housing for the Pull Spin Start. I wonder if you could mount the 1 way Bearing in a Socket. Just a little glue to hold it in place. Then you could just slide the socket onto the shaft and start it then pull the OWB staying in the socket. Just an Idea.

all fixed. was able to use parts from the 3 broken ones I had and a part I had to make at work and get a pull cord back on there with a little extra cord even