Starting and then stalling after a few seconds

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackh9772

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey
I bought a new hpi Trophy 3.5 not long ago but I have a problem..
Every time I start the motor the car revs up a bit and then just stalls, I have checked the carb gap and it is set to 1mm and I have read the instruction Manual and it doesn't have any reason why this could be happening. Can someone please help??

Hey
I bought a new hpi Trophy 3.5 not long ago but I have a problem..
Every time I start the motor the car revs up a bit and then just stalls, I have checked the carb gap and it is set to 1mm and I have read the instruction Manual and it doesn't have any reason why this could be happening. Can someone please help??

You said not long ago ,was it just this winter that you have purchased the truck?
An how much of the break-in period have you done ,or have you been able to do any?

I ask if it was this winter because it may just be too cold depending on where you are located!.:cool:

Yeah I bought the truck about 3
You said not long ago ,was it just this winter that you have purchased the truck?
An how much of the break-in period have you done ,or have you been able to do any?

I ask if it was this winter because it may just be too cold depending on where you are located!.:cool:

Yeah i bought it about 3 weeks ago but where I am it's summer at the moment
I haven't really been able to do any breaking in yet because the engine keeps stalling.

Yeah I bought the truck about 3

Yeah i bought it about 3 weeks ago but where I am it's summer at the moment
I haven't really been able to do any breaking in yet because the engine keeps stalling.

Ah yea ,breaking in an new engine can be a pain in the rear!...:D

First off ,the carbs are set filthy rich on fuel ,an they have a tight pinch on the sleeve ,so given those two factors ,they
are hard!
I have two suggestions that help ,1 is to loosen up the glow-plug ,this helps relieve some of the pressure.
.2 lean the Hsn setting in a little ,about a 1/4 turn ,an you can always turn it back on the rest of break-in!
An .3 ,you have to try to keep it going with slow short stabs of the transmitter throttle.
.4 ,sit the truck on a block of wood to keep the wheels off the ground for about 2 or 3 tanks.

You will also need an xtra glow-plug ,because that one will foul out an or get distorted do to the heavy fuel
an high compression!
I hope these tricks work!...:cool:

It could be excessively rich, or the idle could be too low. Just remember to break the engine in. :)

Might try somthing simple like holding throttle open slightly till the engine warms up a min or 2... a rich cold engine is a pain to keep running but letting it run for a few mins adds heat and tends to lean out the mix. Id personally get the engine up to temp before making in significant needle changes. then break it in proper if its a new engine.

All of the above are excellent points and I agree with them. I just want to make sure that you understand, the break in process is not optional. You NEED to do This. This is before you run a tank thru just playing or whatever... The break in is the VERY FIRST thing you do. It insures longevity of the motor as well as breaks everything in together. It is expected that the motor will come to you set rich... Very rich. There will be a lot of smoke and it will load up very quickly (there isn't a lot of time it will run at idle before it loads up the engine with fuel and dies) Having an extra glowplug or 2 is a very good idea! Although i haven't seen it in print, I have also heard of running a tank thru the truck on a block of wood. I recommend if you do this that you set a fan on the truck so it has airflow across the cooling fins of the engine. If you chose to do this, be sure to keep an eye on the engine temp. Overheating is bad at any time... I think more so during break in. Good luck!!! :thumbs-up:

A couple more thoughts... Is it very hot or humid where you are? That does effect tuning in some cases. Also, while doing the break in, do it on a smooth paved surface. The extra drag created by a loose surface or grass will make the break in process more difficult as well as raise your engine temps because the truck is working harder.