Starter Box motors.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snook Man

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I’m going to refurbish an old tired Ofna starter box and customize it a little to fit my TMuggy build as a dedicated box for it.
I can build/fabricate just about anything my mind can conjure up but electronics are not my forte.
Last year I got through the season by replacing the old motors with 2 new 550’s and new NiMH 6-Cell 7.2V 3000 mAh batteries. It does fine with the SB on roads but it struggles a little with the BB engines, mainly the wires get hot pretty quickly if the engine doesn’t start in short order.(not my engines, other peoples;)).
Is the old stock wiring too small in gauge, motors too small or is it just the nature of the beast?
If necessary I can upgrade the motors and re-wire it but I would like to keep it NiMH as I have a bunch of batteries that would otherwise just be sitting around doing nothing.
Suggestions please.

Go brushless!! :D

Were there 550s in it before? What gauge is the wiring?

Yea the 550's were stock, gauge is small, the wiring is smaller than the wires coming out of the 7.2V batteries. The battery wires get hot also.

Late reply but any resistance tends to cause the rest of the system to heat up. Upgrade the wiring to at least the same gauge as the battery, and use good solder joints if possible. A bit of heat is normal. Anything that gets hot enough to burn you however is not. A very good solution is to bypass the on switch with an automotive relay, keeping the switch from acting as a resistor, or upgrading the switch to something designed for much higher current draw.