Spur gear upgrading help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raiden101

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I burned out my first spur gear and wanted to upgrade to the 40 tooth gear, but it doesn't spin freely when I installed it. Though my truck is actually a Slayer, everything except the suspension arms and push rods are the same.

Any help is greatly appreciated

You have to loosen the long bolt that goes from front to back on the outside of the engine mount. Then grab the engine head and pull it away and down from the spur a bit. Stick a skinny piece of good writing paper in between the gears and push the engine up to tighten the gear mesh. This may take a couple tries, but if you're careful you should get a good tight gear mesh but still have them spinning freely. Then tighten the long bolt and also check the tightness of the other long bolt on the other end of the mount, you want them tight. In fact you may have to loosen them both to move the engine up and down but you want a little bit of resistance there so you don't have to hold the engine while checking the mesh with the paper.

Thanks for the help, I found the screws and also a crack on the second screw you mentioned. I ordered a new mount, so that's the next project. I'm learning more and more why this is considered a hobby.

Yeah, I've noticed certain traits that make it more of a job than a hobby :)

When you put that new mount on make sure you leave everything loose until you can put in the two long bolts and tighten them. Then tighten the other bolts. You want to sandwich the middle part in there so you don't break the other two pieces when you tighten the long bolts. Don't forget a dab of blue loctite on the threads.

Oh yeah make sure you chassis isn't tweaked too. Hold the new mount up to it and make sure the mount and chassis are gonna match up somewhat close. If you've ever had your truck land upside-down-backwords at speed then it probably pushed the engine forward, bending the chassis slightly, opening the gear mesh, breaking your mount and ruining your spur. I've had all this and much more happen to mine. It is a 'JOBBY' to me.

Wrong! It's NOT a hobby but a full time job. :D

I love my JOBBY.

I actually ruined the spur with a small rock :/. There was only about 5 teeth flattened on the stock spur.

Jobby sounds more fun then a job on it's own :)

I actually ruined the spur with a small rock :/. There was only about 5 teeth flattened on the stock spur.

Jobby sounds more fun then a job on it's own :)

Yup been there done that. But watch for the chassis tweak, if you run hard it will happen.

You say upgrade to a 40 tooth spur. You do know that'll make it slightly slower than the stock spur right? That's if you have the 15 t bell of course.

You say upgrade to a 40 tooth spur. You do know that'll make it slightly slower than the stock spur right? That's if you have the 15 t bell of course.

I keep forgetting you have a slayer. I don't know the stock gearing on that.

I think it's the 15t bell gear. I'm doing a one part at a time upgrade. It'll be slow for now, but I want to pu. A 16 or 17t gear eventually

Back