Spur gear ?'s

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxxDawg75

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Got the 4907 T-Maxx. Got a stripped out spur gear. What's the difference in a 58t, 54t, etc etc etc...? Second, is a aluminum/steel/metal/ whatever is worth the investment? What about the slipper clutch pads? Had one come apart during break in, one came apart last night. Is the carbon fiber pads good, fair, not worth it?

The ##t is the tooth count.

Spur:
+ teeth = torque (faster acceleration/lower top speed)
- teeth = speed (faster top end/slower acceleration)

Clutch bell/pinion:
+ teeth = speed (faster top end/slower acceleration)
- teeth = torque (faster acceleration/lower top speed)

The metal spur gears are over rated and most of the time end up being a "band-aid". Did you strip the teeth or melt the center? A plastic spur that is properly meshed and has the slipper adjusted correctly will last for gallons. If your slipper pads are falling apart, I would guess that the slipper is too loose. When I worked at a HS, we had to tell people to check/tighten them before running the truck.

Definately keep the plastic spur, you need a cheep to replace weak link.

You need to either get new pads for the slipper or do the brakedisc mod to it.
The brake disk mod constist of using an old 4910 fiber type brake disk, enlarging the holes just enough so it sits on the pegs on the slipper pressure plate.

Trx #4964
http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Brake_Disc_p/tra4964.htm

BrakeSlipper5.jpg

Last edited:
ShrodeMode:
I stripped the spur gear itself.
The pads, well I thought I had them to right. Thanks for the info.
uhatyvu4.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 AM ----------

Nitro, is there any other parts needed to make that break mod work? I want to be able to go and reassemble with all the correct parts.

Looks like your mesh may have been a tad loose and the adjustment also could have been just a hair tight,were any of the 4 engine screws loose at all? ...+1 for all of the above advice.

Nitro, is there any other parts needed to make that break mod work? I want to be able to go and reassemble with all the correct parts.

Nope, you need just the #4964 brake disk to replace your 3 slipper pads.
The only other thing you will need is a small rat tail file to slightly enlarge the holes in the disc as needed to get it to sit on the pressure plates pegs.

Brakediscmod_zps5b04ec11.jpg

All the motor screws and the mount screws were tight. I had been doing some fairly rough driving. Hey, if that's all that has torn up so far, I'm good! Thanks to you all for the help and advise.

easy tip for setting the gear mesh is to put a piece of paper between the gears when you squeeze the spur and pinion gears together (yes like the gears are crushing the paper at the point they connect to each other) and pull out the piece of paper after you tighten the engine back down. use thin sheet of paper. you want the smallest amount of play you can get without binding the gears.

Thanks Plaidfish. Going to put everything together tomorrow sometime. Got to make a run to the local hs, buy a few items and it's back to tearing up something else. (Not intentionally of course)

Update... Brake disk mod went smooth, assembled, and tested. HARD! Love it! Got the new spur in place, along with the mod, tightened up, and cautiously tearing up the wife's pretty manicured yard. (Hehe)
Thanks to you all for the help.

Based upon the mathematics teeth +\- on the spur and/or clutch bell. What or where is the happy medium? The fast acceleration to an obscene top speed? Currently with the 4907 stock, the link app says top speed is roughly 39mph. Which we all know isn't entirely true, but makes me feel good knowing it has the potential of running that fast. Waiting for the gps mod to get cheaper.

Back