Spur gear Problems here.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oo7chris

RCTalk Member
Military Veteran
Reaction score
Hi I know this is one of the biggest problems it seems everyone has with tmaxx trucks (if your a rookie). So I was told the Stock gear was a 58T and I got 1 and it's not. Was the dealer wrong about 58T being stock gear? I got a 54T (what came stock in my Maxx) I installed it and did the paper trick and seems ok. So I fired it up and drove it around, starting on a full tank and at about 1/4 tank I pulled the truck over too me to adjust the idle because it was high. I'm in the middle of adjusting it and the Engine goes WOT and chews threw the Spur gear. I then took it apart and tried again next day and turned this gear into mush in less than 2 minutes after 2 passes. Same thing though I pulled the truck too me again had 1 finger on the brake on the remote and Boom bye bye gear again. Any Idea's? These gears seem to be going while i'm adjusting/tuning while brake is applyed.

Are you installing the engine just a bit crooked? The #1 cause for stripped spurs is the mesh, 2nd is too tight on the slipper,if I were to guess I would have to say that you are way loose on the mesh,does the strip of paper come out accordian shaped? It should,I personally set my mesh by feel only and almost never strip a spur,after you tighten the engine mounts check and see by hand how much play there is between the two gears,there should only be a tiny bit,just enough so the tips of the gears don't interact with eachother this is about a perfect mesh imo

transmited from a mobile communications device

Yeah the paper should look like an accordion and not be cut thru anywhere. If the mesh is good and your still stripping gears make sure your slipper clutch is not too tight and also check your engine mount bolts. I had a problem of stripping gears everytime i ran until i realized my rear mount bolts were coming loose. Red loctite fixed that problem.

I found out that I am having good mesh, but I am currently tuning and I have pulled the truck up next to me and held the brake while tuning and the slipper clutch was a bit too tight. The clutch bell was getting very hot and melting or weakening the spur gear. no more problems sence cause i havn't held the brake on like a parking brake while tuning :hehe:

You shouldn't have to hold the brake on,this tells me that the idle is way to high

transmited from a mobile communications device

Yes and yes on the idle. Fixed. Along with new tie rods after a nasty roll :\ Any trick in getting the metal (bubble with 2 holes into the tie rod)? sorry I couldn't think of what to call them :hehe: I got them in but busted my fingers all up

Any trick in getting the metal (bubble with 2 holes into the tie rod)? sorry I couldn't think of what to call them :hehe: I got them in but busted my fingers all up

I find it easiest to insert the Hollow Balls in the rod ends by slipping the hollow ball over a 3mm cap head screw and warming up the rod end in hot water or with a heat gun. With the hollow ball on the cap head, place the cap head on a firm surface and then just pop the warm rod end over the hollow ball.
Your fingers will thank you for it.

I just use a pair of small channel lock pliers, set the ball end in the rod end, then squeeze with pliers while wiggling the pliers a bit.

Back