Some things I did with the rustler today.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
Now with the rustler I rebuilt the transmission and diff the same way I did with the slash. I also converted most of the screws over to metric hex screws. There is only a couple spots I'm needing for a pack of screws which I am going to order through Amain. Packet 1 is 3x23mm Button Head Screws - these are for the trans case. 2 is 3x8mm Flat Head Screw - these are for the motor to hold it into the case. I might buy another screw kit for the slash/rustler because how much I am in need of those. I still have some left in the screw kit I bought last August which is my main one right now.
20221005_152024.jpg

Here is how much of the stock screws I took out. Some were rusted because I did run the car in water a few times. Also some were stripped so I just threw the stripped ones away, luckily i somehow got them out.

20221005_152030.jpg

Now with the rustler I rebuilt the transmission and diff the same way I did with the slash. I also converted most of the screws over to metric hex screws. There is only a couple spots I'm needing for a pack of screws which I am going to order through Amain. Packet 1 is 3x23mm Button Head Screws - these are for the trans case. 2 is 3x8mm Flat Head Screw - these are for the motor to hold it into the case. I might buy another screw kit for the slash/rustler because how much I am in need of those. I still have some left in the screw kit I bought last August which is my main one right now. View attachment 153655

Here is how much of the stock screws I took out. Some were rusted because I did run the car in water a few times. Also some were stripped so I just threw the stripped ones away, luckily i somehow got them out.

View attachment 153656
Nice job bud. Yeah those stock screws suck. Those Philips head screws strip out easier and faster then any other screw.

Putting in the hex is the way to go bud. The hex head screw is a much better screw. They are also much stronger then those stock screws.

A tip: you can spray the entire truck down with WD-40. And make sure you spray all the screws. Then let sit for a minute or two. Then wipe off the excess that's left over. The coating will help the screws from rusting again. If you do run in wet conditions always try to wipe down and clean. When your done running the truck. Use compressed air to blow off the entire truck. It will help get the water/moisture out of all the hidden areas...

Nicely done bud. Keep on bashing

I have a 6 pack of compressed air cans. I use it to dust of the rcs and the workbench. I also use it for my laptop keyboards too. Does WD-40 help remove sticker residue? I got that on the side of the chassis from the 2 stickers traxxas put on from the factory. One of those stickers were just the ESC settings and low voltage settings so I didn't really need that. I still got my grandpa's air compressor in the shed but I think that has too much psi for the rcs. He used that air compressor with his 1:1 trucks and maybe filling tires up with air. And also that compressor hasn't been powered on in a long time, basically over 10 years.

Last edited:
I have a 6 pack of compressed air cans. I use it to dust of the rcs and the workbench. I also use it for my laptop keyboards too. Does WD-40 help remove sticker residue? I got that on the side of the chassis from the 2 stickers traxxas put on from the factory. One of those stickers were just the ESC settings and low voltage settings so I didn't really need that. I still got my grandpa's air compressor in the shed but I think that has too much psi for the rcs. He used that air compressor with his 1:1 trucks and maybe filling tires up with air. And also that compressor hasn't been powered on in a long time, basically over 10 years.
Rustler is looking great. What brand of bell crank and any issues?

Post a pic of the compressor. It should have a regulator. If not one can be purchased on the cheap and installed. All that can air could be car funds. 🤔😂🤣😁

A quick dust off and check the oil level and should be running.

Rustler is looking great. What brand of bell crank and any issues?

Post a pic of the compressor. It should have a regulator. If not one can be purchased on the cheap and installed. All that can air could be car funds. 🤔😂🤣😁

A quick dust off and check the oil level and should be running.
I'll have my uncle look at all of that. I'll take a pic tomorrow when there is light outside and not rainy.

Very cool, isn't wrenching fun?
It is fun but it can by frustrating sometimes like if you run into a stripped screw or something doesn't fit right. I listen to my music while wrenching. If live rc races are on I will watch that well listen to it. I feel like wrenching is more fun with a power tool.

I honestly prefer the wrenching more than the driving.
I would much rather build part by part than a unassembled kit or RTR.

This got me thinking. So instead of a RTR and if that RTR doesn't have a kit version of it could I just buy all the parts and build it my self? It is possible but I'm not sure if it is less or more expensive than the RTR. Also most parts don't come with hardware so you would probably need to buy a screw kit. I know the slash has a kit version but I would be more happy to just buy all the parts and build it. And you could go with aftermarket parts instead with the stock or included parts. So for example if I build a slash from scratch I would go straight for the LCG chassis instead of the stock HCG. I would also get a more better servo and other various aluminum parts.

It's kind of hard for me to keep up with the price of a complete build because I just don't take the time to record all of my purchases.
I buy a few parts at a time each month and just go for it. Building it part by part is more expensive but that don't bother me and the
wife understands my madness... ;) She loves it when I get lots of parts in the mail and head down into the shop.

Jennys rc. They are on ebay. They also have a website that is cheaper.

If you dont wat stock electronics and kits, this is the way to go.

This got me thinking. So instead of a RTR and if that RTR doesn't have a kit version of it could I just buy all the parts and build it my self? It is possible but I'm not sure if it is less or more expensive than the RTR. Also most parts don't come with hardware so you would probably need to buy a screw kit. I know the slash has a kit version but I would be more happy to just buy all the parts and build it. And you could go with aftermarket parts instead with the stock or included parts. So for example if I build a slash from scratch I would go straight for the LCG chassis instead of the stock HCG. I would also get a more better servo and other various aluminum parts.
if theres no kit go to jennys rc thats the only place it will be same and or less to buy the parts and build it anywhere else if you want to build perhaps a slash 2wd it would cost $350 where it retails at $200 ( i know theres a slash 2wd kit)

O.K., David. Sounds like you have a handle on it. Lighter fluid will remove the sticker residue. I use Kingsford brand charcoal lighter fluid. Zippo fluid is too hard to find anymore. Kingsford works just as well. Follow that up with a quick wipe of denatured alcohol and the surface is ready for another sticker (or not). Be sure to store that lighter fluid in a cool safe place, preferably no it the house. 'AC'

Back